The sun dips lower in the sky as final whispers of its warmth follow behind and night sets in. Chris and I peer over the edge of a mesa at the hardiest of New Mexico's rivers, the Rio Grande, as it weaves its way through the towering pillars of sandstone. Peaceful and calm, we stand there together quietly, drinking in the view.
The mountains of the high desert take on a surreal quality in the wintertime. Orange mesas covered in small trees contrast with the snow white peaks behind them. Although this is hardly my first visit, I struggle to recognize this place. I cinch my hood tighter to block out the icy chill of the wind. I like New Mexico in the winter.
Looking toward Los Alamos and the Jemez Mountains.
Initially, I was sad to leave Matt with Zoey for the week. Always my adventure partner, I never have to ask if he wants to go running or hiking with me, the answer is always yes. With my brother Chris, I know my love for the outdoors far outshines any appreciation he has for it, especially in the wintertime. "I'm assuming you'll want to go hiking while you're here?" he asked me the day I arrived. Don't sound too excited about that, now.
Tsankawi trail.
Overlook from the top of the loop.
Cactus selfie.
With the way his job is set up, Chris has to take vacation time between Christmas and New Year's Day. It uses up a week of vacation he would prefer to use a different time of the year, but it also ensures that I get my favorite brother all to myself during the day. A freak snowstorm cancels our original plans, but I enjoy the fact that our visit is a little more leisurely and missing Carlsbad Caverns now just means I'll have to come see him again. Darn.
Don't worry, I still got to play in the snow. Run #2.
Last minute addition to my suitcase. This $10 pair of Walmart ice spikes have now run in eight states and three foreign countries.
Then we checked out the brewery, where I met my new boyfriend.
I spend so much time away from my family each year that I'm often surprised by little things when we are reunited. Even though months have passed, that closeness is still there; that biting sarcasm is a family trait; and that intense desire for long periods of alone time? Yup, that's shared too. Of my numerous immediate and extended family, Chris is most like me.
Each morning, I go for a run. When asked if he'll join with me, Chris ignores the questions and walks out of the room. I joke that he's afraid to learn that his sister has become the stronger runner, even though this altitude feels anything but easy. Don't worry, Chris, I already know it's true, hehe. :)
Paseo del Bosque Trail, my first run in NM, near Bernalillo just as the snow started to fall.
Super dry and cold point-to-point run in Santa Fe that split my lip wide open when I smiled as I passed another runner. That will teach me to be friendly.
A short portion of my run was on a frontage road alongside the highway. Even there, the views didn't suck.
I turn to the dogs, Tammy and Skittles, for company instead. I take each of them out, half mile at a time at first. By the end of my visit, they're up to a mile each, both enthusiastic buddies tiring more quickly than before and I can tell their short legs aren't used to all that activity.
Isn't this photo adorable?
The dry winter wind stabs its way through my layers. Even though I'm running at six thousand feet, the effort level is almost comparable to home. The cold air is rejuvenating. Even though I spend a lot of the week snuggled up to the dogs (I'm allergic to them too), the lack of any other trigger made my allergies disappear. I spend the week taking morning runs along the meandering country roads. Roosters crow, cows moo, and those breathtaking snowy peaks beckon from afar.
The mountains are out!
Our trip is a mixture of little adventures, divided between running errands,
trips to the museum in Los Alamos (now that is a gorgeous town in the wintertime!), Dairy Queen stops, and some hikes in
Bandelier.
Frijoles Trail, Bandelier Nat'l Monument.
In the evenings, we meet up with his girlfriend Monica for
dinner, hot yoga, and my first ever cycling class in Santa Fe. I really loved both the classes and the girl time with her. I guess I'd be okay with it if Chris decided to keep her around. ;)
Sun setting on New Year's Eve, my final day.
Aided by the silliness of drinking just one hard cider at altitude, Tammy and I shot this video for you on New Year's Eve. Even though I'm absolutely not a dog person, this little goofball grew on me. Meet my niece.
Thank you to Chris, Monica, Tammy, and Skittles for a fantastic blend of fun new things and familiar old ones; relaxing time with my book; and a reminder that, in our family, I'm still the least crazy one of us all.
3 comments:
You and your brother definitely look related! Cute video of you and the doggie!
A brewery cat! We have one at our brew pub also. I've been running in spikes since the beginning of November!
Linda, It's funny you say that. A friend of mine saw those same photos of us and said we look nothing alike.
Mary, I wanted to take my new boyfriend home with me. Such a friendly kitty. Is your brewpub cat friendly too?
Post a Comment