Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Race Report: A Tale of Two 5Ks

Even though the nervous energy bubbles up in my throat at every marathon starting line, it has become the distance I'm most comfortable racing. I'm patient, calculated, and somehow almost revel in the challenge of that dead legs feeling that only comes up in the last bit of a really long race. Races shorter than an hour? Now those are terrifying. In an attempt to get more experience with that very intense, explosive pain of accompanies a five kilometer race, I plan to run the club's three 5K runs this summer in the hopes that, come fall, I won't hate them as much. My only goal: Embrace the hurt.

Hammond Hill Challenge 5K: June 27
Y. Kim, SRRC photo.
I squeeze myself in somewhere near the front of the pack and hold on for dear life as it takes off along the trail. I try to settle into a tough, comfortable pace all the while my eyes are fixed on the hill up ahead. The pack thins and soon I'm pretty much by myself. There's only one thing worse than running at 5K pace and that is trying to stay motivated when you feel like you're all alone.

Mile 1: 7:05

Oh wait, I was wrong. Add a hill. That's the worst.
I try not to stare at the hill while I climb. Instead, I watch as the fog pulls away from the coastal bluffs and the ocean waves crash on the beach. Huh, maybe this isn't so bad. I reach the turnaround cone and convince myself that even though there's an aid station, I don't need to stop. Quit whining legs, the tough part is over, I coach. They're not too thrilled. Soon Nina zooms by me, giving everyone high fives. Just two weeks post-surgery, she's hanging back being everyone's cheerleader. I try to relax enough and stay with her but it's useless. My mental train pretty much derails here and it never really recovers.

I careen down the hill, my legs just barely under control. I hit the mile two marker just as the trail levels out a bit again. I sigh audibly as the tension of the steep downhill releases from my upper body.

Mile 2: 7:48

The final mile is always about holding myself together. I manage to retain some of that downhill speed momentum and zip around corners, focusing on running the tangents the best I can. I spot one of the boys I chased down at the Dow's Prairie run just the week before and try my best to catch him again. I can see him fading, but the finish line approaches too soon and I pass the mile 3 sign just in time to see him cross it.

Mile 3: 7:13

I spot the clock up ahead and watch the time tick dangerously near my course PR (22:43). I know it's going to be close. 22:40....41...42....

Mile 3-finish: 0:37 (6:46/mi.)

Y. Kim, SRRC photo.
22:46
7:19/mi.
4th lady, 2nd AG.
132 ft. gain

Thoughts: I wish I could say this one was a solid effort, but I know I could have had a course PR had my mental game been stronger. To be honest, I haven't had enough speed work lately to properly remember how much this pace hurts and I let it get the better of me. (For comparison sake, it should be noted that this course is a touch on the short side.)

Arcata Marsh 5K: July 4
The great thing about 5K races is that they require almost no recovery time. One week later, I find myself toeing yet another starting line, this time on the local high school's cross country race course. The route is pancake flat and has just enough twists and turns to keep things interesting. Add in the tired legs of a 65 mile week and no taper, and I'm reminded why I'm never very fast at 5Ks: I don't exactly do myself any favors in the lead up.
Y. Kim, SRRC photo.
The pack takes off and I jet off quickly. Just a few minutes into this race, we move from the road to a narrow singletrack trail, where we'll remain for most of the race. I sprint off to avoid the bottleneck. Once on the trail, I settle into my pace as Nina and Corrina pass me. I try to stay with them, but I know their pace requires too much effort for the first mile and I watch as they slip away. Again.

Mile 1, taken on cool down. Look, a kitty!!! :)
(Garmin splits=/=actual mile splits. I forgot to turn off my auto-lap, so these are from my watch. It does show a pretty good idea of my pacing, so I'll include them.)

Mile 1: 6:56

I get caught between a slowing runner but am unable to pass him on the narrow trail. I wait for the next portion of wider trail and do my best to take off once I can get around. I zoom off and half a dozen other runners take off with me, providing plenty of company, which I really enjoy. Others help keep me from getting lazy. When I feel my mental power waning, I think of how I let myself down the previous week and it renews my resolve to keep pushing. Guilt is a powerful thing.

The sun came out just in time for my cool down, which is when I took the course pictures. Kinda pretty for oxidation ponds, no?
One runner passes me and instantly I notice that it's Brett. I know I've had a target on my back when it comes to us and the 5K. He's been trying for over a year to beat me. I cheer him on and then try to tuck in behind him, but dude has finally realized he's got a shot and he's giving it everything. He will stay near me throughout the remainder of the race, looking over his shoulder at every turn to see where I'm at.

Mile 2: 7:15

With Brett still within my sights, he pulls me through a cluster of struggling runners. I pull up alongside each of them and while they're running in the loose gravel, I'm running on the grassy patches between the now double track trail. It doesn't look like it's faster, but the firm ground makes all the difference and I zoom by with ease. Still just ten seconds behind Brett, I can see the finish line across one of the ponds.
Final approach. Finish is in the trees on the left.

Mile 3: 7:15

Yoon calls out my name, snaps my photo and I round the corner, the finish clock now in view.  The loose gravel switches to asphalt and I notice the added power in my stride. Gary, Matt, and Paul are waiting just across the finish line and calling my name. I realize that I'm not only going to beat my previous course PR (23:18), but I'm going to set a new trail 5K PR. Sweet!

Mile 3-finish: 1:13 (7:13/mi.)

Y. Kim, SRRC photo.

22:39
7:17/mi.
6th lady, 1st AG

Thoughts: What was even better than a trail 5K PR was the fact that I was mentally prepared for how much it would hurt. I didn't give up and found myself almost enjoying (is that even possible?!) the intense discomfort.  Embrace the hurt: Achieved.

Initially, I had another 5K planned. It would have set me up for my best time of 2015: certified course, pancake flat, paved, during the final week of my taper. Sounds perfect, right? What could possibly talk me out of that? Oh, how about an impromptu trip to Alaska? I still haven't figured out how I'm going to taper AND enjoy time with my running friends, but I'll find out soon enough.....

2 comments:

Abby said...

Honestly, the 5K is my least favorite distance. When I towed that start line Thursday night if anyone would have given me the option to race a half instead I would have happily taken it. The long slow burn of the half is to me what the marathon is to you (though I do hope to return to marathons in 2016). I too struggle with embracing the pain. It is hard for me to figure out what is the right level of push, the correct type of hurt, and what is going to make me crash after just 2 miles.

Karen said...

YES! That's exactly it! It's so hard to figure out what's just right in the pain dept.