Wednesday, July 22, 2015

A Lazy Day in the Mountains

After indulging in long mountain run up Canyon Creek, Matt and I agree it best to actually start a taper so our legs are rested for SOB. Normally, I yearn for the opportunity to kick back and finally get some stuff done at home but when my travel style is much more active and I find it difficult to rest. Instead of attempting a grueling summit of Granite Peak, we shift our focus further north to a part of the Trinity Alps we've never seen. At least the slower pace of a hike will keep my restless mind occupied.
As it turns out, the drive is a bit of an adventure. Ruby Sue, our new adventuremobile, is up for the challenge and climbs the rugged fire road like a champ. Every time we pass through a particularly difficult spot, we praise her efforts, not mentioning that our tiny Focus would have pooped out on the first climb from the highway. After all, it's not nice to compare your babies. :)

We set out on our hike as a large family is packing up their gear and heading for home. We chat a little bit and can hear their bottles clink together, beer for the adults, rootbeer for the kids, as they toast to a great weekend in the wilderness. With just five miles round trip through pretty easy terrain, this trail would make the perfect beginner's backpacking trip.
We heard rumors that there are ptarmigan up here!
The gravel forest road gradually deteriorates and by the time the road has turned into a hike through a wintertime runoff stream choked with gravel and boulders, we wonder how recently this road was passable by car.  The forested route opens up briefly to a grassy meadow and I can almost make out the cirque containing our day's destination.  We dash back into the forest and my pace quickens. The lake is near! I become more excited with each passing moment.
We begin to hear voices and smell smoke with each tiny gust of wind. We arrive to another meadow and discover a group of older men smoking cigars in their lawn chairs. With the amount of gear they schlepped up the mountain, it's clear they've been here awhile. I've heard about people backpacking like this, but to me it seems like car camping with a little bit of relocation. It's an interesting concept. I'm not sure I'd like all that lounging around when there are more beautiful things to see. Maybe something for our next taper? We chat a little about the weather, whether there are fish in the lake, and then continue on to check it out ourselves.
True to her name, Tangle Blue Lake sparkles like a bowl sapphires in the midday sun. A moderate wind ripples the surface and makes it sparkle even more. Matt and I take a few moments to scope out the best lunch spot before settling down beneath a tree. Even though it has taken less than an hour to arrive from the car, the total journey on the drive and hike leave me satisfied. We have lunch and then head for home.
After a quick stop for milkshakes and curly fries (why do warm days make me crave fries!?) in Trinity Center, we make our way back to the campground. The campground is beautiful. It was built just before the California drought really began to take hold and unfortunately all of the plumbing fed from Trinity Lake, which happens to be right outside the camp. The campground has fresh asphalt, artfully constructed tent pads, and brand new facilities but because it's dry, almost nobody uses it. Matt and I have our pick of campsites and the one we chose had the perfect hammock spot.
I plan to do some yoga and then read my book, Matt eyes up the hammock. Before I can get through very many downward dogs, I'm asleep on the mat. I wish I could say this photo was staged.
I wake after a short time when the heat of the sun breaks through a crack in the forest canopy and glares in my face. I wake up to realize Matt has fallen asleep with his book, too.

That evening, we gather on the shore of the lake at a nearby campsite to watch the sunset. When we travel to places that aren't completely cloudy, we like to watch the sky change as day fades away. All around us are remnants of the storm a few days ago. We point and admire each of the clouds as they turn from orange to pink and then turn to purple as the sky turns dark.

It's the perfect end to a lovely day. We head back to camp and I finish with the yoga and then crawl into bed.

3 comments:

Abby said...

What an absolutely amazing way to spend a day.
I woudl have fallen asleep too. I am not good at being still, so when I am I crash.

Linda W. said...

Sounds like my kinda day!

Karen said...

Abby, Yes!! That's my problem too! I'm not good at sitting still for very long. It's especially troublesome when I'm sick.

Linda, Hike in the AM, doze in the PM. It's perfect. I should do this every day!