Friday, July 17, 2015

Peak Weeks

Even though this training block has been a full three months, I can't believe it's already over! Just a short taper remains before the Siskiyou Outback 50K. I'm not sure on my goals for race day yet, but I'm sure it will be fun.  But first, let's talk a little about training, shall we?

June 30-July 4:
Running Miles: 63.75
Hiking Miles: 3
Runs: 6
Other: Hike (1), Yoga (3)
Kitties: 14
Notes: This week dragged a little. Since I raced on the 4th, I front-loaded my mileage. That basically means I ran a hilly 5K race and then the long run back to back. I'm sure this contributed to that sluggish feeling. It helped for the second 5K race though so no complaining here.

24.25 miles, 4:56:21, 12:15/mi., 4,100 ft. gain.
Sweat (over 80 degrees, yay). Hills. Big trees. Matt’s stories to pull me from the grumpy bonk that came on far too easily a day after a hard 5K race. 

I will never stop admiring the giants.
Sweet, sweet downhill!
Drenched in liquid awesome.
My favorite feature of the new car: tailgate=perfect chair.

A perfectly flat Humboldt Bay on an early morning run

Garden is in full swing! I love growing my own food.

July 5-11
Running Miles: 70.25
Runs: 6
Other: Strength: Core, legs, shoulders (2), Yoga (2).
Kitties: 58
Notes: This week felt so strong, I didn't want it to end....so I pushed off the taper by a day or two and got in another long mountain adventure. Every mile felt like playtime and I know I'll soon miss all the summertime trail miles once road season begins again.

Long Run : 26.25 mi.


Five and a half hours of sweating, smiles, and sharing time with a new running buddy. I love how big trees and big climbs can make me feel so small. It’s incredibly humbling. I worked through several low points (read: related to being a lady), but I made it home with a smile and a little BBQ sauce on my face.

I like Henny Penny, our rooster, better with BBQ sauce. Hey, the guy had it comin'.

12 miles, 2:05?, with gal pals Tanya, Cindi, and Lanore.
I’ve run a lot of places during my years as an athlete: roads and trails; dirt and sand; snow and ice; from home and abroad. No running route puts my life into perspective quite like the Headwaters Forest. I’m not sure how to describe it but each visit feels like a religious experience.
I am in such awe and energized by this gorgeous place and cherish the repeated opportunity to have not only the strength to make it here myself, but to be able to share it with those I hold most dear to me. If there’s one thing I wish for all of you it is that I hope you find a place that gives you this same feeling.

10 mi, 1:20:56, 8:05/mi. 6 middle miles @ 7:30-7:50
Nailed it!! First three miles of half-full marathon pace were with wind, second into the wind. Mile 7 was spent following a pickup kicking up dust everywhere. I felt my throat and lungs close up a little bit, otherwise the run felt really strong. A little bit of pace work during the summer will definitely set me up for a strong fall season. :)

-----

Fall Racing Plan: As we head into the taper, thoughts of course turn to the fall. Matt and I will begin our fall training with a short half marathon cycle. By running some half marathon paced runs, it will make the transition to marathon pace runs go smoothly and hopefully set us up for a couple new PRs. Races will include The Rogue Run, Humboldt Redwoods Half Marathon, and another CIM (I will start praying for good weather now).

1 comment:

Abby said...

Wow taper time. Enjoy it:)