Friday, July 10, 2015

One Day, Two Summits, Endless Beauty

Jamming along to the radio and stuffing a cupcake disguised as a muffin into my face, I make my way to the trail. The sun is just beginning to climb above the horizon and dances through the trees forming waving ribbons of light across the road. Oh how I miss being greeted by the sun in the morning. At this early hour, the park road is deserted.
Throughout the drive, bits of Lassen Peak towered overhead, her prominence intimidating. Wow, that's a long way up, I think to myself. She disappears from view for a few minutes and as I pass the sign designating the highest point on the park road, she comes into full view. The fear turns to excitement as I pull into the parking lot and I spot my first car of the day.

Lassen Peak, 10,463 ft.

Lassen Peak, the tallest mountain in Lassen Park stands five thousand feet above most of the surrounding mountains, her highest point at 10,460 ft. Thankfully, the car does most of that climbing for me and I'll have to cover the remaining 2,500 ft. myself. Already above treeline when I start, views are incredible right from the car.

I've done a lot of hiking at moderate altitudes and have noticed that each day is different. This day on Lassen Peak is perhaps my strongest day ever. My legs feel powerful and deliberate and if it weren't for my photo habit, I feel as though I can it to the top without stopping at all. My power hiking skills improve daily during trail season. Three Grasshopper summits in the last month have definitely helped my steep climb abilities.
I marvel at the beautiful, restored trail. Since I moved to California, the trail has had limited access as work crews rebuild a more sustainable route to the top. This one comes complete with interpretive signs and benches to rest and take in the view. Most of the signs focus on educating users about the dangers of trail erosion, cutting switchbacks, and feeding those adorable chipmunks.

Glancing down with each passing switchback, I notice every view is different. Nearby mountains, heavily shadowed at first, eventually reveal themselves to me. Every gust of wind brings the sulfuric odor of rotten eggs, reminding me that the ground beneath my feet is still alive. When I take too much time to think about it, it's slightly unnerving.
After a few more moments of daydreaming, I find myself at the top of the rim, staring down into the crater. The thing about climbing previously active volcanoes is that there's no obvious summit. It's a little anti-climactic to arrive at a big hole in the top. I hike along the crusty snow filling the crater, trying to discern which is the true summit. Sitting atop a jagged rock that is the highest point, I snap a selfie for proof and then continue on to a lower, but more photogenic rock formations.


I spot Mt. Shasta just fifty miles north and my eyes are immediately drawn to it. It isn't until I've taken a seat and pulled out my apple that I realize the magnificent features between these two volcanoes. One hundred years ago was when Lassen last blew her top. Black volcanic rocks littering the mountainside are the youngest in California. The ash cloud was visible from 150 miles away in May 1915. It's pretty incredible to think about! Great lava beds expand out in every direction and I can only begin to piece together everything in my mind.
 
I'm only the second person to the top on this gorgeous June morning. Tempted to linger and enjoy the views and solitude, I imagine the people in the campground and city below just beginning their day. I reluctantly peel myself from the panoramic view and begin my descent, reminding myself that my day has only begun, too.
-----

Atop Lassen Peak, looking at Brokeoff Mountain.
Continuing my way on the park road, I try to muster energy for a second summit. Since both are quite a drive from my campsite, I thought it best to try and hit them on the same day. Stopping for some photos and a quick lunch, I can feel the day heating up already. A nap sounds like a really good idea, but I ignore that urge and promise that I'll go one mile up the trail and if I'm still tired, I'll turn back.

Ruby Sue with Lassen Peak and Lake Helen.

-----

Brokeoff Mountain, 9,236 ft.

The first mile takes me almost forty-five minutes and I laugh a little to myself as my Garmin beeps. It's not that the trail is difficult or my motivation lacking, but the abundance of wildflowers. What a gorgeous distraction. I walk five feet and pass a new, vibrant flower and insist I need a photo. I grab a shot of each new bloom and it takes me forever, but in a very good way. To think I was considering skipping this hike.
Shasta Daisy
Mountain Mule Ears
California Corn Lily
Tiger Lily
After the wildflowers run out, I've reached my arbitrary turnaround point. That's when I spot two men walking with canes, one with a very prominent limp. Nothing makes my internal whiner shut up more quickly than noticing someone else worse off than myself.
Columbine
I decide to go another mile.

And then another.

Soon I've popped above the trees and am greeted with sweeping views of the north valley. A swift breeze slows the river of sweat that has been dripping from my chin. In addition to the higher altitude, my body struggles with all the sunshine and warmer temperatures. I pause a few moments in the final shady spot and apply my fourth coat of sunscreen for the day.
As I make my final approach to the summit, I can begin to imagine how Mt. Tehama fit into the landscape. What existed as Mt. Shasta's twin, she last blew 400,000 years ago. Many years of erosion and an ice age later, one can still identify where this massive volcano's walls once stood. Brokeoff Mountain is a portion of what remains of the former southwest wall of this ancient volcano.
You can sort of see it too, right?
I arrive at the top and a standard summit cairn greets me. Finally, a real summit! The first thing I notice is Lassen Peak, my first summit of the day. I stop to apply yet another layer of sunscreen, take a few photos to share with Matt, and have another snack. I smile proudly. I so wanted to skip this hike, but I didn't!! Even though Lassen Peak's summit is a full 1,000 ft. higher, this second hike is my favorite.
Coming down off the top, I stop and chat with a few fellow hikers. They are wearing running packs and soon we're sharing our running stories. They ask if I go solo often. Once they realize that this is my first trip and I'd been kind of nervous, they are reluctant to believe it. "You look so confident alone on the trail, like you do it all the time," the woman offers. Her husband agrees. For the first time that day and on the trip, I realize that I am comfortable. Put me in a group of people or in a city and I turn into a nervous ball of anxiety. This is where I am most at home. We wish each other a nice hike and part ways.
I spend the remainder of the hike deep in thought about what the hikers said and about my personality. Sometimes I feel like my life is so intertwined with Matt's work life that I no longer exist as an individual. Ask any of our friends. When one of us is invited to an activity, the other automatically comes along. We're sort of a package deal.
 
-----

While I eventually began to miss Matt and feel sad that he didn't get to experience it all with me, I noticed a little bit of that strong, independent woman I used to know return. Even though I was apprehensive at first, I thoroughly enjoyed this long weekend to myself.

Independent.....and accidentally very color coordinated. I guess I like purple.

6 comments:

Mary said...

It's interesting to see the other side of things. My husband and I are not a package deal at all. I guess I was single so long and he was too. Sometimes I wish we liked more of the same things but I agree that it is good to have a sense of your own self too. When he does come along it is really great and I appreciate every moment. As long as it works, keep doing it!





The Padre said...

Powering Forward You Will…. Positive Yoda Vibes

bobbi said...

I love this! I used to do a lot of things alone, but now my husband and I are also a package deal. There are times when i crave the alone though - I guess that's one of the things running gives me.

So so beautiful there...

Abby said...

Wow. 2 summits in one day is amazing. I am glad you are enjoying your long weekend, it will make it that much sweeter when you see Matt again.

Molly said...

I do a lot of my running solo, but most of my bigger adventures are with my boyfriend, dad or friends. I sometimes wonder if I'm not independent or strong enough, but in the end I just like having company.

Looks like a beautiful place... I miss the amazing flowers from my trip to California last year! They are much less showy here way up north.

Karen said...

Mary, I think that moving around so frequently so early on in our marriage really helped bond us together as a couple. We always spend the first year or two doing things together since it takes both of us a long time to really make close friends. Sounds like you and your husband have the opposite background.

Padre, It's fun to think about where the "just one more forward step" mindset takes us, in big and small things in life. I never imagined I'd end up where I am now without all those little choices.

Bobbi, It is incredible! When are you coming to visit? ;) It's nice to have a husband/best friend combo deal.

Abby, Time apart definitely gives us more to talk about when we are reunited.

Molly, I have that same internal debate myself. I really prefer to have company but there are parts of solo adventures that I like too. Do you have plans to return to California soon?