Sometimes the best adventures aren't carefully planned out. Sometimes they just happen. We were going to be in the mountains for the weekend, so were a couple friends. They wanted a long run and we can't turn down the offer to join in the fun. That's how we find ourselves at the Canyon Creek trailhead on this overcast Sunday morning.
After a short overnight in a free (!!!! this is so rare in California) campground, a quick caffeine and sugar fix in the trail parking lot, we're ready to go. This trail has become an old friend. Since this trail has year round maintenance like snow removal, it has always been our go-to winter camping trip. Summertime is too hot for backpacking, we'd argue. I've backpacked this trail half a dozen times in the snow and had yet to see it in the summertime. On an unusual cool summer day, it's not even half as miserable as it would have been when we cancelled an earlier trip when temperatures soared into the 90s as high up as 6,000 ft. Today it's damp and about 70F. Perfect weather if you ask me.
The climbing begins immediately and I can hardly believe it when I arrive at the stream crossing that normally takes thirty minutes to reach. Before we know it, the forest views are replaced by towering walls of granite. Adam, our token Trinity Alps newbie, stands there, agog at the beauty. Even though I've seen all these views before and argue that mountains look best in the snow, I admit they look pretty darn incredible in the summertime. Bonus: my Snickers bars don't harden in the summer either.
The four of us take turns with the lead, breaking off periodically to photograph the mountain peaks and waterfalls cascading down the mountainside. It feels leisurely and playful and my legs hardly seem like they've crested the eighty mile mark this week.
By the time we pass the two waterfalls, I begin to understand the summertime allure of this trail. Water pools beneath each waterfall into a crisp, clean and refreshing swimming hole. Visions of returning during a heatwave and backpacking in my bikini dance in my head. Heck, I might even consider hauling up a floatie or beach towel.
Our run turns into a brisk hike as we climb boulders and rocky staircases to the top. The first of two lakes appears. I snap a few shots and continue on, not because this lake isn't beautiful, but because I can see where the second one will be and its jagged granite peaks pull me higher through the rugged terrain.
I settle on the shore of the upper lake and pull the PB&J from my pack. I can already tell that this day will go down as one of my favorite runs ever. I take in the view while the boys play a game of "No, you go first" before they dive into the lake. Being that the day is cooler than normal, the occasional gust of wind makes us reluctant to swim. Adam goes first. Then Jeff. Matt follows and then it's my turn. The boys count me down. "5..4....3...2..." SPLASH. The water is warmer than their reluctance led me to believe. I slip out of the water and the warm, dry alpine air quickly goes to work at warming me back up. We finish our snacks and then make our way back down.
The return trip turns out to be a bit of technical run training. I hear Adam and Jeff bounding down the mountain behind me, our steps synching up as a single unit.
We take turns almost falling, but nobody ends up eating dirt. It's always a good day in the mountains when that happens.
A white film forms on the air and slowly raindrops begin to fall. Each shower is brief and refreshing. The rocky trail turns to dirt and my feet rejoice. The soft soil of the forest trail is like pillows underfoot. The trailhead comes as a surprise at the end of our sixteenth mile. We head to the car to pre-eat before dinner. Chips, salsa, and a few beers are consumed and then we head for pizza. Jeff and Adam disappear back to the coast while Matt and I head off to the campground on Trinity Lake. Our weekend is just beginning.
16 miles, 4:55:21, 2,894 ft. gain











5 comments:
That sounds perfect! I would do that every weekend.
Totally Radicle!! Thanx 4 Sharing
Hi Karen,
Although I've never really hiked in your neck of the woods, I think the mountain ranges and climates between northern CA and Oregon are similar. The eastern slopes of the Cascades are much drier than the western side, and probably very similar to the forests where you live. I'll have a chance to find out, as I've planned a trip to Lassen Nat'l Park in mid-September.
Wow. Absolutely beautiful. And that 70 degree weather - perfect!
This run was absolutely gorgeous. It was one of those posts that pretty much writes itself because I loved the run so much. :)
Linda, The forests I mostly run in (in the mountains anyways) are outside the western edge of the Cascades. They're so pretty and your posts always remind me to go play in my nearby mountains.
Post a Comment