Thursday, January 02, 2014

Searching for Understanding....

I had planned to catch up on blogging my recent holiday adventures, but if you don't mind seeing Santa hats and Christmas lights posts after the new year, I'd like to put that off for another few days.

It hasn't been the best start to the new year here. A local news story has recently made national headlines, perhaps you've seen it. Just after the clock ticked over to 2014, the priest in my church was brutally murdered. Details are slowly being released as to what happened and a suspect has been caught in just the last half hour or so. The community is shocked.

I've had this sick feeling in my stomach since yesterday. I went for a run today to try and sort through my thoughts and feelings. One moment, I'd smile and the next I'd choke back tears; in between, bubbles of anger surfaced.

Admittedly, I’ve been floundering my faith and finding out where I belong these last few years. Matt and I don't always regularly attend mass, but every time we did, Fr. Eric made us feel so welcome as he had a particularly captivating presence both during his sermons and after mass. He was one of those people everyone instantly liked. In an age where Catholicism feels stuffy and outdated, it was a wonderful change. He was warm, friendly, approachable, and always knew how to put a positive spin on the worst situations. His sermons included personal stories everyone could relate to and sometimes were the only thing bringing me to church on Sundays. 

Instead of pointing out challenges in our community, he encouraged us to lead by example. "Be joyful. Go out in the community and share your joy. Make them wonder what's missing in their lives that you have in yours." Such a powerful and positive message that has become a cornerstone of my beliefs as a not-so-regularly-practicing Catholic.

Yesterday we lost one of the truly good leaders in not only our church community, but the broader community as a whole.  If you are the praying type, Humboldt sure could use some right now.

6 comments:

Musings Of A Girly Tomboy said...

I'm so sorry Karen. This breaks my heart as I read this. From what you've said, he sounds like a very kind and smart man. I am sorry for your loss, as well as loss to your community and your Church. You all are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope running/family/friends bring you peace during this difficult time!

giraffy said...

I've been following this story, so awful. Thinking of you, and the community.

Linda W. said...

That's horrible! I'm so sorry. My son is studying to be a priest and I really hate to hear stories like this.

bobbi said...

I'm so sorry. As an on again off again Catholic throughout my life, often the only difference between on and off is finding the right faith community. And the right priest.

Praying for peace for all of you. What a horrible senseless loss :(

Abby said...

Oh my goodness I had not heard that. I am bad about watching the news. So sorry.
Thoughts and prayers.

Karen said...

Thank you for your prayers, ladies!

Bobbi, you're absolutely right. This was one of the good ones too....the first since the parish I grew up in.