Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Slugs in the Sunshine

The valley was still shrouded in fog. While the redwoods overhead slurped thirstily at the air, my first steps out of the car were met with a shiver. I used to balk at my friends' claims that 30F was cold, but I've found that when the air is as stagnant and moist as it always is here, those thirty degrees bite through my layers more than a dry climate does.
Over 50 trail miles into 2014 and this was my first banana slug. Usually, I see about one per mile average. Definitely too dry.

The sun quickly burned through the fog but did little to warm the forest floor. Small patches of ice coated frozen mud puddles. Even though it hasn't rained in almost two weeks, the moisture puddles here still linger. During a normal winter, these trails are always very muddy, but today they're firm due to the frosty air and dry conditions.

Just three days after the difficulties at Patrick's Point, I wasn't sure what to expect, so I led the way as Matt and I set off on a run at a pace I can hold forever. At the slightest hint of exertion, I backed off and walked if necessary.

Today's route included, yet again, a climb up Grasshopper Peak. I wanted to get a few photographs of the 10.5 mile course since we just narrowly missed the daylight window on our Christmas Day run. Originally we had planned for this to be a 25 mile run, but because of the race, I erred on the side of caution. I've found that when dealing with issues in my lungs, that's really the only way to go.

With a five mile warmup before we began climbing Grasshopper Peak, I felt warm and comfortable climbing the steep fire road. I had no issues at all. As we moved along up the road, I couldn't help but wonder what really did happen at the race. Was it just because I didn't warm up? Was it really the cold?

The day was beautiful. Despite the drought panic in the back of my mind and the angry sinuses, I have been enjoying the dry weather. Winter running is much less complicated when I don't have to worry about chafe-proofing my entire body on rainy runs.


As we turn onto the gentle descent of the Johnson Camp Trail, the subject turns to our upcoming race in Alaska. While much of the CONUS is experiencing colder winters than they've seen in a while, Alaska's winter snow pack is melting. We find this ironic, especially since we both distinctly remember part of our decision on racing in Alaska is that "winter and snow are pretty much a sure thing". Right now it seems more like springtime breakup. If this continues until race day, there's a decent chance the trail may not be useable at all because it travels across frozen lakes and swamps. From friends' reports, flowers are blooming and it won't be long until the mosquitoes are out. I hope this is a joke. Jet stream, you need to quit goofing off, nobody thinks you're funny.

Our run continues at the same steady pace I kept since the beginning of the run. I feel strong and confident again. Just what I need to complete this last week of training.

18 miles
3:23:48
11:19/mi.
3,234 ft. gain

4 comments:

Molly said...

30F and you're running in shorts? That's bold!

Abby said...

Glad the run went well, and yes it seems like most the US is colder than Alaska right now. Worst say I have seen in CHS in 10 years.

Musings of a Girly Tomboy said...

I've been debating a backpack/hydration pack for trail running. Your thoughts? I noticed yours in your picture!

Karen said...

Molly, 30F is about my limit. Any colder and I wear tights instead. I actually enjoy running with numb legs sometimes.

Abby, It is nuts!

S, I've got the Nathan Intensity Race Vest and it's actually one of two things I've ever done a product review on. I still love it as much as the day I got it.

Here's the link: http://ariavie.blogspot.com/2011/10/hydration-systems.html