Monday, January 13, 2014

A San Francisco Detour

I was still under the dark fatigue cloud that had been following me for most of December. Months ago, we had planned to make this weekend into a running boot camp. We intended to find a cabin or tent ourselves somewhere and run about 50 miles of trails in a single weekend.  My body had other plans.  Instead of the physically intensive weekend of steep gorgeous trails, we opted for the steep city streets of San Francisco. There wasn't any running until we were leaving town, but oddly I didn't miss it.

Shortly before we left Alaska, one of our friends transferred to California too. It is funny how some people stay as active parts of your life and how others don't.  Austin fits into that first group. We met up in his lovely hometown for a sunny(!!!!) meetup.

Saturday and Sunday were spent exploring the city streets. We've become comfortable enough with the city that we hit our favorite places on each visit and then explore one or more new ones. 

Our favorites:

Lemongrass Thai on Polk St.

Sports Basement

Ghiradelli Chocolates (the one in Monterey is much better)
It was still open at 11pm, CRAZY. My town dies at 8pm.

Running at Crissy Field

Booze Scrabble night. Very elaborate rules. Just know we're all sophisticated grown ups now and have cheapo champagne instead of mixing together whatever random things we have lying around.

New Adventures:

Greens on Marina St.

Computer History Museum in Mountain View

View of the city from Twin Peaks


 Musee Mechanique

I'm still not a city girl, but every time we visit San Francisco, she grows on me just a little bit more.

Have you been to San Francisco? What's your favorite thing to do/place to eat?

3 comments:

Mary said...

My city dies at 8 pm also. Sometimes 7:30. I've only been to SF once. Might be there for a conference in May. Hmm...

Musings of a Girly Tomboy said...

I want to go shopping at a Sports Basement, is that weird ;) I love shopping for workout clothes...ALMOST as much as I like shopping for regular clothes!

SteveQ said...

I went to San Francisco to surprise a girlfriend who had moved there. A man answered the door.

I might give the city another chance.