Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Unexpected Tempo Run

In the last week, I've found myself with the desire to resume hard training.  As much as I want to indulge in this feeling, I know a season of playful, sometimes fast-sometimes slow runs is something I need mentally.  That said, I do have my fall racing schedule planned and am excited for that when the time comes.  Right now, I'm focusing on enjoying the runs.

Today, I had planned to run either mile repeats or five miles at a moderate hard pace (goal was 8:00/mi.)  Matt wanted a fartlek run so the latter it was.  As we cruised along the first mile, my legs still stiff from the night's sleep, I knew it was a bit too fast.  By two miles in, I realized that I was running a tempo run today.  Although I fatigued quickly, my legs seemed to be stuck at that same pace just around a 7:30/mi.  My mind reasoned with my legs.

Head:  "Let's slow down.  We're not training for anything.  Let's go slow."
Legs:  "Wheeeee!!!!  Fast fast FAAAAAAAAAAAST!"
Head:  "Alright now, back had a rough day yesterday.  Cramp, cramp, help!"
Legs:  "Almost there, chill out whiner."

About two miles in, we came up behind a skateboarder, moving slowly along the paved path.  Just as I pulled up alongside him to pass, he looked over his shoulder, saw us and said, "Oh man, I can't let you pass me when I'm on my skateboard," and took he off.  That was pretty funny.

When we turned around and ran with the wind, the humidity and effort felt oppressive and I shortened my fast run from 5 mile to 4.  When you sweat as much as I do, the wind is a lifesaver.  Running with the wind feels like I'm swimming, even at 55F.  You win today head.  Also, bacon wasn't the best idea before a hard run.

Somehow I pulled off my fastest 4 mile tempo to date in 30:02.  Since I hadn't planned for it, I decided to run the last mile as a cool down and it felt like I was jogging slowly.  I love that part.

I love running hard sometimes.  I still have some more recovery to do so the rest of the week will be easy, but next week I might find myself running another tempo.  They're kinda fun when done spontaneously.

4 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Well done! One never really knows when the legs are ready to push!

Mary said...

Chill out, whiner. ha ha. that's funny.

meghan said...

I like that your head and legs are two different entities. I need to think like that for future hard runs and races. Also, I'm glad to hear you're a serious sweater. It gets bad for me sometimes...

Abby said...

Someday I will be fast enough to have unexpected tempo runs. Until then enjoy them for me.