Sunday, June 09, 2013

Pre Classic, day 2.

"I'm not really used to this. I'm still a star-struck little kid out there, so it's really cool," Mary Cain said in her post-race interview.  At last weekend's Pre Classic, she broke the American junior 800m record (previous record: 2:00.07, set in 1982) and was the first one to break two minutes.  She was one of two high school students invited to this prestigious event.  You can watch the full interview here. 

The crowd erupted into applause when her new record of 1:59.51 was announced.  This was my favorite moment of the entire weekend's running events.  It was even better than Dairy Queen.

Of course, the rest of the track meet included many other famous names.  I admit I have a limited knowledge of track running.  Sitting there with about 12,000 of my closest running nerds, we watched several other world best times set for this year, and you didn't really have to know much about each athlete to get excited.

Men's 5,000m.

Men's Bowerman Mile.
110m hurdles.
Jeremy Dodson, 200m.
 What a fantastic weekend!

Who is your favorite track runner?  I admit I'm more a fan of the underdog, so mine is 1500m silver medalist at the 2012 Olympics, Leo Manzano.


6 comments:

Abby said...

I remember watch Leo in the Olympic race and cheering him on like crazy, along with everyone in a team USA singlet.

Cinthia said...

Oh wow, you got to see Mary Cain break the 3K record, didn't you? I'll bet you guys are having a blast. Loved your marathon spectating post. That's totally the way to go (I say after completing a really crappy 16-miler today, hee, hee). Cheers and happy running.

Cinthia said...

Oops, I meant the 5K record. These shorter distances are so confusing, no?

Teamarcia said...

Being at Hayward Field would remind me of my very first pair of Nikes with the 'waffle bottom' I had as a teenager. They were bright yellow with a turquoise swoosh. Running Times had a great article about Leo.

misszippy said...

She's so amazing--read about her record yesterday. Can't wait to see where she is in a few years! I am a fan of Leo, as well, and going waaaay back...love Zola Budd, actually.

meghan said...

It's so cool that you got to go to this. I was watching it on tv and was so excited when I saw Mary Cain break that record. I cannot even imagine being at that level in high school. It's crazy to think the future she has in front of her.