That is why days like this surprise me. Between all of those foggy and rainy days pop the rare sunny day when the wind isn't blowing my hair into a whirling tornado of tangles. This weekend, Matt and I took our adventures north and across the border to Brookings in Oregon. Matt's family friends own a summer home right along some of the most beautiful of this stretch of coastline. They let us hang out in their mansion of a coast home when we're in the area. A crudely drawn map left on the kitchen counter pointed us to a path to a local park and beach. Somewhere hidden in the thickets of twisted vines and behind private property signs was our Friday morning adventure.
Just two blocks from the front door and we were descending a steep path. To call this a run would be using the most liberal meaning of the word. We spent lots of time climbing over rocks, driftwood, streams pouring into the ocean, and trails too steep and washed out for us to really run. It was awesome.
![]() |
| Harris State Beach. |
We picked our way through pillars of coastal rocks and teetered over driftwood as we crossed a small creek. The adventure was slow and taxing, but it held just enough childish playful energy that I couldn't erase the giddy smile from my face.
That afternoon, we took to the trails of Azalea Park and Loeb State Park. It was a nice change of pace to walk for a few hours out of the wind. We were a few weeks too early for the azaleas, but I enjoyed the umbrella tree the best. Isn't it awesome?
![]() |
| Umbrella Tree, Azalea Park, Brookings. |
![]() |
| Redwood Nature Trail, Siskiyou Nat'l Forest. |
So now I've saved the best for last. Brookings has a Dairy Queen. Dairy Queen also has a "buy any blizzard get one for 99 cents" deal right now. Usually, Matt and I share a mini Blizzard, but not when there's a sale! I went to bed all three nights with an ice cream stomachache. It was worth it, I promise.
![]() |
| Don't worry Mom, I had some healthy things. Here's our homemade veggie pizza. |











3 comments:
Oceans + mountains would be the thing. Oh wait. I had that in Alaska and it was kind of grey.
Pizza looks awesome. So does the ice cream. We don't have a DQ within 100 miles. Probably a good thing, because I wouldn't want to share my Blizzard.
Wow gorgeous scenery, a run AND ice cream and pizza. Sounds like the perfect weekend. Glad you enjoyed!5
Yes! The scenery is so amazing. You always seem to have the best adventures!
Post a Comment