Thursday, March 21, 2013

By The Numbers.....

I've always found number patterns interesting.  Almost every day, I catch myself looking at the clock at 12:34, 1-2-3-4.  It makes me smile.  Today's run followed a similar pattern.  8.25 miles at an 8:25/mi. pace. 

Here are a few other things about my day, by the numbers:

Number of homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast today: 3.  This is my specialty.  If you're ever a guest in my house, I'll serve these with coffee at least one day.  They take a lot of time to make, but freeze well and whipping up the icing is easy.  Great for when visitors come.  (I also bring these along if I'm an overnight guest at your house too...just fyi.)

Number of hours I slept last night: 8.  Ever since my chemotherapy year, I've needed 8-10 hrs of sleep.  I don't know if it is another sign of permanent bashing my body has taken, but it frightens me to think about raising kids and subsisting on far fewer like all the superhero moms I know and admire.

Number of things I removed from my to-do list today: 15.  Seriously, I'm on fire.  Ever have days where you're hyper productive and then have a crash the next day?  That's kinda how I roll on a 2-3 day repeating cycle.

Number of coffees: zero.  Sad.  The regular version hurts my stomach so I'm a decaf girl these days, but I still miss its warm comforting feeling.  It is also delicious with those cinnamon rolls.

Number of cat toys fished out from under the couch: four.  You should have seen the excitement on Zoey's face when I gave them back to her.  I wonder how many nights she's spent digging under there for them while I was asleep.

What was a fun number for you today?

4 comments:

Alicia Hudelson said...

Hmm, feel free to visit me anytime;)

I don't understand the parents/lack of sleep thing either. It just doesn't seem possible to function, let alone run well, if you're up all the time every night. It's got to be good training for 100 milers though!

Anonymous said...

When I was in high school, I always wanted to see the clock at 12:34 because then I knew I would be on-time for the after lunch classes. I still seem to see it at that time frequently, and it always takes me back to those teenage years.

As far as the mile reps go, I feel fairly confident that I won't have to pay up - but we'll see when the reps go to 5 and 6. Matthew looked at me funny - like I was crazy or something (he may be right) - when I said I could consciously adjust my speed during each rep on a lap-by-lap basis. My challenge to the both of you is 1) take lap-by-lap splits, and 2) choose a specific lap on each rep to think of a 'proprioceptive cue' to solely focus on for that rep.

I am sure that associating during one lap on proprioceptive cues will cause a 2-3 second change without just demanding the body/legs/lungs to move faster.

Karen said...

Alicia, that is so true! My husband works rotating shifts and we often pull him off the midnight rotation by running a long run after he's had 4 hrs of sleep. I think that's part of the reason he does well with marathons, he's so well rested compared to our training long runs.

Danny, I admit I had to google some of those cues to figure out what you were talking about. On track workouts, I already do a bunch of the cues (or according to this article: http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Sensory_cues) like "navel to spine", "floppy feet", and "driving thighs". I'm bookmarking this page so I can remember to try a few more. Just having something to think about during a workout really helps too. If my mind wanders, I find myself running too slow.

Anonymous said...

Proprioception would be an awesome field to study if I had the chance...relevant in so many ways beyond even running (kind of like positive affirmations that we can use in just life or playing instruments if I was of that type! :) )