Friday, March 01, 2013

Airports and Aurora

Feb 16.

Flying from our small, regional airport is always an adventure.  We usually build a long layover in San Francisco just to be sure we make connections as flights leaving our airport are almost always at least thirty minutes late..but this time it was too expensive to do so and we took a gamble, allowing only 30 min. between our flights. Because of this, we were especially happy to be up in the air as the sun rose up from behind the Trinity Alps to our east, we arrived early! This never happens.
View from terminal at Seattle-Tacoma.

A few more layovers and long naps (I slept wonderfully!) later, and two sprint-through-the-airport connections in both San Fran and Anchorage, we arrived in Fairbanks just as the sun was setting, casting a pink glow across the Alaska Range. Everything went perfectly, that is, until we collected our baggage. Since we knew we might have dash through the airport, I packed light, almost too light, to be a little faster not weighed down by hand luggage. The conveyor belt spit out many bags, coolers, and duffles of all shapes and sizes. Matt picked up his bag, grunting under the weight of his winter gear’s density. All went well, until my bag didn’t arrive. I had little more than my down jacket, mittens and hat.

After chatting with the extremely generous woman at Alaska Airlines baggage, I learned my options. Since the purpose of our trip was a cabin trip in the Whites, they told me to replace whatever I needed and to save the receipts. As excited as the idea of a free upgrade for my down sleeping bag (covered in duct tape to patch holes where the large feathers escaped), backpack, boots, and all my warm clothes was, I didn’t enjoy the idea of having to do that in a single day. Besides, who really goes to Fairbanks, Alaska to go shopping? I picked up a pair of leggings, undies, and wool socks to tide me over until morning. I would let them try to find my gear overnight and go shopping on Sunday if I had to.

That night, I had a front row seat to the aurora show as it danced over the cabin. I dashed in from the outhouse to grab the camera. By the time I was set up, they disappeared into their usual hourly lull. I caught one semi-blurry shot then went to bed. I had trouble sleeping, wondering if that would be my only chance to photograph them in action. After one more trip to the outhouse to check, then I decided to call it a night.




Has an airline ever lost your bags?  Did they find them?  If so, how long did it take for them to return to you?


1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm guessing they found your bag. But what an opportunity! I am a big gearhead. However, if they found it the next day, would you have to return all the stuff? Love Alaska Airlines. Can't imagine Delta doing that.