Sunday, March 25, 2012

Record Keeping


We all keep records of our running.  Some records are more loosely organized than others, but we all know approximately what our PRs are and some basic stats about different aspects, right?
Every once in a while, I come across someone that keeps records differently than I do, so that got me curious.  How do you keep your own records?

1     ~    I like to keep track of my monthly and yearly mileages.  I include warm-ups and cool downs in my total mileage.  Races and training runs are included.  Hubby and I go for walks at home or while we travel, I don’t usually include these in any totals.  Ditto goes for hiking and backpacking.  Some people use their Garmin each time they run and can tell you how many days and hours they spend running each year.  Hubby is doing that this year, but I think it is too much work for me. I don’t run with my Garmin every single run either.

2     ~   I keep different sets of “official” and “unofficial” PRs.  If the distance was in a race setting, unless I find out later the course was short, I include them in "official".  Everything else goes in the unofficial.  It is fun to keep track of the unofficial stuff because I never know when a good day will hit and it always keeps me on my game.


3        ~ I know some people that track training runs of certain lengths with corresponding race distances.  For example, while training for a 50K, they run two training distances of a marathon or more.  Those are added to their totals, saying “I ran two marathons while training… so I've run six marathons" (and then don't bother to say that two were training runs, not races).  I think this is ridiculous.  Unless I’m actually racing with others on a course with an official name, it doesn’t count.  I mean really, I’d have like 300 half marathons by now.  They totally don’t compare to the race halves I’ve done.  The only way I could imagine calculating it as a “real” half/full/50K is if I ran an entire race course on my own.  The whole course with no deviations, but even that seems fishy.


So readers, what is your records style like?

1.       Do you track total mileage?  Do you track runs of a certain length? Do you track overall pace?

2.       How do you keep track of your time PRs?  As you age, do you set a new category for each decade or 5 year age group increment to keep from getting discouraged?

3.       If you run 26.2 miles (or 5K, 10K, 13.1 mi., 50K) by yourself one day, do you count it?

4.       I’m planning on a lot of trail running this summer near my parents’ house.  There are two ultras nearby, Keyes Peak 50K and Marquette 50M/50K.  It seems like the best way to skip planning routes for myself.  I don’t think they count, do you?

3 comments:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I would never say I did an actual half marathon if it wasn't an actual race. PRs to me aren't official unless they were on a race course, either. I keep track of all my workouts on Daily Mile and take my Garmin on almost all my runs.

Amanda @ HappyMotherRunner said...

I do keep track of total mileage as well as length, and pace. Dailymile does all of that for me, so it's just a plus (don't actually calculate that myself)
My time PRs I record in a doc on my comp. I don't have any real goals yet since I am really new, I am still trying to get my runners feet.
I would never count a training run as a "race" or even give it a title of PR. I base my training runs on feeling and then later go back and see if pace is improving. And analyze what might be slowing me down.
If the race is official I would count them in. But that's me personally.
PS Didn't know Mqt had an Ultra that is pretty awesome!

bobbi said...

I track total mileage and wear my garmin for every run, just to make this easier. I don't count walking/hiking in this total. I track pace per run along the same lines, but not overall pace per week/month/year.

PRs have to be in a race. Since I've only been racing for 2 years, none have expired ;)

Marathons and half marathons only count if I sported a bib while running them. (Can't believe people count training runs in their marathon total. craziness!)

If you run the ultras with a bib on, they count. If you run their route not in the race, I say it doesn't count.