Headwaters trail rarely sees runners. There are steep switchbacks, tons of mud, and
lots of climbing via stairs that are just the right length that they don’t
match my stride and I have to walk them.
So when a group of four runners take off down the trail, people
notice. I can’t say that I felt
energetic at all when we left for the run.
Before this run, I had already covered 40 miles this week, more than I
have in a single week since the Little Su training in December and January. It wasn’t an over-training fatigue with
leaden legs and accelerated heart rate.
It was just the fatigue of a heavier week.
When I have this type of fatigue, I go one of two ways: decide
that I’m going to go easy and make it fun or push hard to get it over with. Sometimes it is hard to tell which route I take
while I’m out there. We jumped across
puddles and made it to the biggest climb, some 1,400 ft. in about a mile. My heart was beating crazy hard as it usually
does and I lead the boys skyward. Just
as I slowed to walk a bit, I heard a voice behind me. “I think this is the best I’ve seen you take
this hill. Seriously,” Alex
mentioned. Somehow it felt like he was
reading my mind. Until he said
something, I thought I was just having a crappy day.
One step forward, two sliding steps back is how we finally
reached the ridge and less incline. I
caught my breath momentarily while I jogged slowly. Sunshine flooded through the trees. There is only one other run that it has been
this bright. When we left the parking
lot, Alex, Danny, and I all laughed at Matt’s sunglasses. We thought he’d spend the entire run wearing
them in his pocket rather than on his face.
It looks like the joke was on us.
As the sun fell lower in the sky and filtered through the forest
horizontally, it lit us like a spotlight.
When we reached the old growth forest, moss crusted Redwoods
greeted us. I’ve been in this grove many
times and when I hit one specific place that opens nearly 100 Redwoods in view
at once, I tear up a little. My heart
flutters. I love these Redwoods. They always look different; no two days are
the same. After a few moments’ pause,
my pulse settles. The frantic gasps for
breath are gone. I reach a state of
peace, only footfalls and the sound of my calm breathing punch through the
quiet. Even though there are four of us
running today, we are all silent, taking in the majesty. After a loop through the old grove, we head
back down, through the muddy stairs leading to the river. Running never feels as natural as it does on the
swift descent to the river. I enjoy the
switch backs. I enjoy sliding to a stop
in my muddy shoes. I have no brakes when
it is muddy. One day I’ll fly over the
edge to the bushes below, but for now, I stop just short of disaster at each
turn. I love feeling on the edge of
control. My body feels wild; I love it.
As any of my running
buddies will tell you, I am chattier on the homeward portion than I am headed
up the ridge. It was the first time Matt
and I vocalized our plan. We’ve decided
that 2013 will be the year we explore the French Alps. It would be awesome to run 10-20 mi a day for
a week, stopping at a little village each night for a shower and hot
dinner. Anyone with experience or knows
where I could get info on this, please let me know. Making dreams a reality begins with a single
step: admitting it to yourself that it is possible (oh, and planning enough in
advance that saving money for it is a reality).
12 miles, 2:03.17, 10:16/mi.
That makes it our second fastest running of Headwaters, and
definitely the fastest muddy one. Our PR
is 1:56 and it was the only day that the trail was bone dry.
I haven’t done a run in my trail shoes since the Little
Su. Running in snow returned them to
their new color and condition. I was
almost embarrassed to go running in them, they were THAT clean. Well, no worries, I was sure to put an end to
that!




4 comments:
I feel like I always come here and tell you how beautiful the places you run are. Like you don't already know, haha. It's nice to see that you are still awed while you are in them :)
I love your gaiters!
I'd love to get your thoughts on trail shoes. I'm planning on doing a lot more trail running and don't have a clue.
That looks like an amazing and life-affirming place to run! Getting into the 'wild' always feels good to me.
Great writing, love your description of the trail and the trees.
Grr. Running in shorts. You sure have great places to run.
Post a Comment