It’s interesting to see what keeps us from blogging. Most of us notice if someone who regularly
posts suddenly slows down or stops. We
wonder what happened to them.
I’ve been lacking creative juices lately. Every ounce of mental power is used figuring
out new ways to massage my tight muscles, ways to strap on the ice pack without
looking weird. You know, the important
stuff. I stare at a blank screen and my
mind suddenly evaporates. This is
exactly where I’m supposed to be on the fatigue scale, but it definitely wears
me out.
But I have still been running. Last week was great:
Sunday- I biked 6 miles to Matt’s work. I stopped for some groceries on the way. Riding with my iPod in the sunshine that day
reminds me how much I really do love bike commuting. This summer, I think I’m going to make a goal
to go one week a month completely sans auto (with a couple exceptions, like
band rehearsal that is 25 miles RT on the freeway and end well after dark).
Monday- Run 5 miles.
Untimed and moderately easy.
Tuesday- Run 10 mi, 8 at MRP. This run was awesome because it has many
gradual uphill/downhill portions. I’m
definitely getting better at knowing how to pace myself on more undulating
terrain. Here were the MRP miles: 7:55,
8:02, 7:57, 8:13, 8:05, 8:12, 8:08, 8:10 (goal: 8:12). You can see which miles were uphill and
downhill, but I didn’t let things get out of control and burn out. That is a pretty huge victory for me!
Thursday- Run 5 miles, 3 at tempo pace. I was feeling a little off all week with
digestive problems. Matt ran with me on
a beautiful sunny afternoon. Tempo
miles: 7:36, 7:32, 7:32 (goal: 7:40). My tempo (originally wrote "tempoo" haha) runs have to be on pancake flat terrain (and on a dirt trail to reduce pounding) in order for me to hit those paces.
Saturday- Run 20 miles.
I’ll write about it tomorrow, but here’s a preview….in the form of the
elevation profile (those little baby hills weren’t the issue though, for the
record).
Total: 40 running miles.
I was a little too fast in both my pace-oriented days. Gains are being made for sure, but I can’t
let myself go crazy and peak too early.
I’m planning on two more 40+ mile weeks with drop-back ones in between,
so it is still time to rein myself in a little bit until the taper.
So that’s what I’ve been up to. How are you guys doing?



1 comment:
I know, I feel strangely invested in my bloggy friends and worry whe they are gone...
I find very little inspiration to write these days. My life is boring!
Good job on the pacing though. You are getting so fast.
Post a Comment