This summer, I've done a few commute bike rides and have paced Matt on his tempo runs. Nothing was more than 10 miles at once. So on Saturday night when I proposed a day-long bike trip through the coastal farmland, Matt thought I was joking. One last burst before I got serious about all that taper business.
Matt and I set off from Loleta, a small farming community that holds a cheese factory and practically nothing else. The faint aroma of cheese permeated the air. It was a cloudless and windless day. While everyone else in the country mentions that fall is here and it is getting colder, here on the North Coast, this is the sunniest and warmest part of the year. And I wanted to take advantage of it while I could, taper or not.
Heading toward Ferndale, we crossed through the mini-community of Fernbridge. Basically a store, gas station, John Deere tractor dealer, and milk processing plant. The highway was busy with weekend visitors all wanting to check out the "Victorian Village of Ferndale". We turned off as quickly as we could and rode through farm fields. I enjoyed the familiar smells and sounds of farming. Matt told me a bunch of his farming stories. We chatted about the tractors, the animals, barns. Sometimes I think he really misses being a farmer (he had planned to do that after he finished college if I hadn't come along). But he really loves the job he has now, too. Someday we hope to have both: us working and living in a rural area where we can raise our own small collection of livestock and give him an excuse to buy a tractor. My man really loves tractors. He was pleased to learn (when I first met him) that one of my favorite toys as a kid was a tractor. Maybe that's how he knew I was the one? If I didn't have the physical limitations that I do, he probably could have talked me into farming (but just think how boring this blog would be if we were tied to our farm!?).
After about 20 miles of riding around the rural farm roads, we were ready for lunch. We stopped at the Main Street Cafe in Ferndale for lunch. I had a turkey dinner (stuffing and cranberries between the bread, too!) sandwich and an iced mocha. I warned Matt that he better help me drink the mocha, because with two espresso shots, I would be wired and he would be sorry later if he wasn't caffeinated, too.
for your ice cream, Honey!
We made it back to our car in Loleta after riding nearly 40 miles. It was a great day. I couldn't believe how easy it was for my legs to endure that much biking. Matt even commented on how my pace wasn't even "leisurely" at all. I guess that cardio fitness from running transfers to biking, too. My butt though, didn't enjoy it at all during those final few miles. Saddle sore, ouch. Not even close to my one-day bike mile PR (of 98 miles in 2004, coincidentally another ride I didn't really train for), but still a fabulous outing!
1 comment:
I wish I weren't irrationally afraid of the bike. It looks like so much fun!
Post a Comment