Nothing but stars and my small headlamp to light the way through the darkness, I ran. In a sleepy daze, I plodded along. Until mile two, my legs were doing all the thinking, brain was still sleeping, I guess. Down the hill from my cozy home, I ran into the flat farmland. A chill hung in the valley, near 40F, cold for this area. The only light that shone in the distance was a barn light, a beacon to usher the cows in. They mooed, anxious and impatient, waiting for the farmer to hurry up and milk them already. Other than the hum of the farmer's bulk tank and milking machines, it was quiet in the valley. Exhaling warm air into the moist, damp morning, my breath was lit up by my headlamp, masking my vision in a bright white fog.
We turned onto another road just as the sky was starting to brighten. Roosters crowed, singing a warm hello to the daylight. The sky turned a neon orange, revealing tall cumulus clouds inland. The lowest areas here had fog, nothing like these brilliant sunlit clouds. Orange clouds turned color and the entire sky lit up in a cotton candy pink.
Daylight crept up slowly, traffic picked up. The 7am rush distracted me from the peaceful run I had been having. A new day was beginning. Most people didn't get to enjoy the quiet that I had. I was privy to a great experience that all these commuters missed.
Morning running has its perks, doesn't it?
(Just after I returned home from the run, the skies darkened and shot out a downpour of hail and heavy rain. Pretty good timing, hey?)
4 comments:
Beautiful description of your early morning run!
My favorite time of day to run...it really is too bad that I don't get up early enough often enough...
I was out there too! Love the early morning runs!
i am so not a morning runner. i am not a morning person in general and i just don't run as well on a empty stomach. but on the rare rare occasion that i am up and out there early, man is it beautiful!
Post a Comment