Thursday, May 26, 2011

Rest Days

When I don't have a clear training plan, I like to run everyday. I like running, makes sense to do it everyday, right? So I run, and run, and by day eight or nine straight and a 45 mile week later, I'm feeling rundown and can't figure out why. So I do my best when I build a training plan and have scheduled rest days. Chalk it up to my organizational personality.

So when I went to make my training plan for the summer, I researched training plans for the 50K I wanted to do at the end of August. This is the post I wrote on Monday and didn't publish:


"As I surfed the web, looking for suggestions on training for 50K races, I considered the hard ones and the easy ones and then decided on my plan of action. I would continue my 12-16-20 cycle, but increase it to 12-20-24 and culminate in a trail marathon leading up to a 2-week taper. I had it all written down on paper, in pen, and a strange feeling washed over me. I wasn't sure I wanted to do it.

Can I handle the training miles? Sure. Can I run 50K if I want to? Of course. In the most recent training cycle, I've proved to myself that I can run higher mileage than ever before.

BUT.

Do I want to train for a 50K? That's really what the question comes down to. I remember what my summer was like last year : running. And nearly nothing else. As much as I love to run, I DO have other interests. And it almost seems like I'm wasting summer by spending it running rather than exploring. This is my first California summer. California is a big state.....so much to see.

I shot hubby an email at work :

"Would you be bummed if we didn't run a 50K this summer? I'm just thinking that it might be nice to keep it to marathons and have a life instead. What are your thoughts?"

Maybe I'm getting burned out. Maybe I just want to explore. Either way, I have a pretty big decision to make soon. The plan, sans 50K, would include a summer trail marathon and then a road one in the fall. Capping out at 22 mi training runs a couple of times. Is it really that different than training for a 50K? Or does it just feel like it?"

Just coming off a marathon training plan that took everything out of me, I almost couldn't stand the thought of getting right back into the high mileage. Then I took two days off of running. I rode my bike for the first time in months. I enjoyed the bike more than I remembered. I know I can never make bike riding outside for fitness because risk of falling and breaking my arm is too high. So biking is and always will be, for me, a fun leisure activity. And that is comforting.

Those two days off were revitalizing. I sat in the hot tub, I rode my bike, I watched a lot of TV. Pretty much a Karen Spa Day of relaxation, minus the funny smelling lotions.

Yesterday, I looked back at that grueling training plan that I was ready to throw away just days ago. It didn't seem as scary as it once did. After all, what's two more miles per long run each week, anyways? I'm still not sure on my goal races, but for now, I'm following the training plan and seeing where the road leads.

This afternoon, Matt, Alex (new trail running buddy!) and I embark on our first trail long run of the year. It's going to be 13 miles of killer hills in a local state park. It's fun how trail running always whoops my butt and I still enjoy it as I do. Can't wait.

3 comments:

Danni said...

Training for a 50k is, to my mind, even easier than training for a road marathon. It certainly does not require more miles. Trail marathons are so forgiving -- you can walk with reckless abandon if you so choose. Also, when I reduced my weekly mileage I got faster. It's definitely not all about miles. Build a base (you have) and go from there.

Danni said...

I meant trail ultras.

bobbi said...

I was going to say what Danni said...I've always had the impression that trail ultras are less about the time at the end and more about the whole experience. I think you could run one without upping your miles too much. And I think you'd love it!