Thursday, May 26, 2011

Minimalist Shoes

It's great that so many people like to run in minimalist shoes. Everybody has their own specific reasons for running and I can understand how it suits purists. Moving along under your own power, thousands of new sensations underfoot. Just as nature intended.

The problem I have is when someone (whether they are pro-barefoot or not) finds something that works for them, they feel they are an authority on running footwear. Example here : http://arcticglass.blogspot.com/2011/05/minimalist-shoes-and-fixie-mountain.html
The author, Jill, was just comparing running and biking in terms of minimalism without taking a side on anything. Suddenly there was a heated discussion, complete with strangers publicly dissecting all her aches and pains and claiming that she's practically ruining her legs by running in the shoes she likes. Unless you're a podiatrist/sports med. researcher, you aren't an authority.


I am very unlikely to become a barefoot runner.


Here's why :

1. I enjoy multitasking. I "run errands" in the most literal sense. Trips with small loads, obviously not the grocery, are great for getting a run and some errands done at the same time. Roads get me there.

2. I enjoy running on roads. In a town with very few trails, I'm glad I enjoy them. Yes, our caveman ancestors ran barefoot for miles at a time, but I know they didn't do it on pavement. I know how my legs respond running on pavement versus trails and I can't imagine the blow I'd be dealing my legs and feet if I were to run without redundant amounts of shoe between me and the rock-hard surface.

3. I'm a big believer in the "Don't fix it if it's not broken" motto. Just take a look at my 30lb computer monitor that is about as old as I am. This motto applies to my running shoe choices.

4. One of the reported side effects of barefoot running is that it makes the foot uncomfortable in regular shoes. Does that mean people shouldn't switch back and forth between the two?? (I really don't know what to believe with the overload of info on the internet.) Ewa, what's your take on this?

5. My feet are always cold unless it is over 70F outside (which is rarely the case here). Cold feet make for an unhappy Karen.

----

Those things aside, I love going barefoot in my normal day. I've been this way since I was a child. Climbing trees and playing in the woods. I especially enjoyed stepping in fresh cow pies at Grandma's farm barefoot. The warm, squishy sensation is incredible. When I first took up running, I didn't bring my running shoes along with me when I went on vacation. When I felt the urge to run, I'd run barefoot. It was never painful or very far. I couldn't imagine completing the mileage I do now in that manner without injury.

Even now, unless my feet are physically cold, I go barefoot at home, inside and out. I don't go barefoot in public because I'm afraid of metal and broken glass. I do have some "water" shoes that are essentially minimalist. I like them on the beach, sand dunes, and hikes in the Redwoods. They are easy to clean (a big plus when filled with sand) and don't cause blisters. My feet get cold easily, so it's only on really sunny days that I can wear them without being chilled.

To me and my current goals, barefoot has it's proper place, and it isn't in running. I've run with success in my current arsenal of footwear, why change?


I'm off for a weekend in the mountains at Whiskeytown. Enjoy your holiday weekend!

1 comment:

Ewa said...

" I'm a big believer in the "Don't fix it if it's not broken" motto." - Agree with you 100% BUT...
Don't you just love BUTs?
We managed without shoes for millenia and then somebody decided to fix that. Hmmm.
BUT...
Our feet adapted to shoes for better of for worse. Going back to barefoot or minimalist is not that simple. It takes time for example for the Achilles tendon to stretch to what it ought (?) to be before it got lazy because of a heel.

I love minimalist shoes. I love going barefoot also. I wish I had started earlier. Having said that, I am testing... hiking boot (the horror!!!) for the snowy conditions in the Sierras. My feet are not too happy. I had to buy a larger than my normal size boot and make sure it had huge toebox.

I guess I am just not too militant about it and I am totally tired of shod and barefoot crowds bashing each other.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.