Saturday, May 21, 2011
Taper Fun
(this post is out of order from the others and actually is supposed to be the week leading up to the marathon.)
I really enjoy running all my old routes in the UP. The roads aren't slanted and my IT band nearly recovered while I was visiting. Unlike Eureka, the roads that are more than a mile long aren't really busy with traffic.
My favorite hiking spot in the area is called Piers Gorge. It's probably 4 miles total, but overlooks rapids and waterfalls on the Michigan-Wisconsin Border, the Menominee River. My high school friend, Nicole joined Matt and I for the hike. It wasn't until my visit with her that I realized how much time had passed. Nearly ten years since graduation, we've both moved several times, got married, and she has three kids.
Ah, Fumee Lake. If there's one thing about my hometown that I'd like to take back with me, it would be the trails of Fumee Lake. It's so peaceful.
This spot was my swimming place as a teenager. It didn't get swimmer's itch like the other local lakes and nobody really swam in it's murky waters....except my friends and I.
The last long run before the marathon, 8miles. Five were around Lake Antoine and then the three back to the house. It was 60 that day. The dry air chapped my lips almost immediately. My throat crusted up. Definitely a huge change from Eureka. My allergies also disappeared on the trip. Now that I'm back home, they returned within 48 hrs. Claritin and Zyrtec don't work. Any other over-the-counter suggestions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment