Friday, January 22, 2016

Patrick's Point 5K Race Report

Clouds darken as we drive north to the state park. Unlike many other races who have records of perfect running days, this one has the reputation of being a bit of a soaker. Of all the races I've run, my second year at this race left me wringing out my entire outfit several times in the bathtub before I hung it to dry. I never finish this race with dry feet. Those ominous dark clouds overhead threatened to extend that reputation for an additional year.
As the first club event of the year, there are always extra people in attendance. Some are here with new year's resolutions, and others are excited for the pizza and dessert that comes later in the day at the club party. Most of our club members mark this date on their calendar and block off an entire Saturday for running events.

Matt, Brandon, and I take off on our warmup. We complete two miles of the new 5K course and then make our way back. My lungs and legs are reluctant to move fast. I haven't run one sub-8 minute mile since CIM and my allergies have left me a little unsteady on my feet and dizzy, even on the flattest road runs. When someone asks my goal for the day, all I could do is shrug.

Before I have time to think too much about it, we're off. The course begins on a downhill and I struggle to keep my form under control. Soon the pack has thinned out and I'm running side by side with Paul, one of my favorite club friends. He's been fighting plantar fasciitis for several years and doing a lot of volunteering instead so it's a treat to race with him today.

Mile 1: 7:25

We weave through the campground and dash out onto a trail. I try to keep up with Paul as we return to another road portion. So far, my effort feels solid and appropriate for the terrain and conditions. I'm pressing myself against the pain line and it feels awful, as it should in a 5K.

I stay right behind Paul until we turn onto a grassy field, mowed short with knobby divots everywhere. I roll my ankle twice and then decide to slow down and stay upright. When my allergies affect my ears as they have been lately, vertigo comes on quickly and there's not much I can do about it.

Mile 2: 7:44

I haven't looked at my watch at all yet, but based on my arm swing, I can tell I'm slowing. Instead of getting angry at myself, I practice some self-love and try to coax a little more speed gently. You're pushing hard and doing great. You know you're not at your best and this course is hard. Keep going.

Slowing for another tricky trail section, someone passes me. I try my best to keep up with them. From here to the end, it's a moderate uphill on a straightaway and then a small flat loop. Up ahead I can see half a dozen runners. From my vantage point, it almost looks like they're walking. At least I'm not the only one who's wrecked right now.

We pass by the finish line just as it ticks over to the twenty-first minute. Now only that flat pavement loop stands between me and the finish line, I pick up the pace and begin my kick. I hear light footsteps behind me. They're catching up and I urge myself a head.

Mile 3: 7:43

Dashing out on the final straightaway, the runner pulls up alongside me. She is tiny and the cutest little runner ever. How come I'm always racing against ten year olds? Haha. I feel like a decrepit old lady pushing my walker when compared to the ease at which she zooms by.
Mile 3-finish: 0:27

Moments later, I cross the line behind her.


23:34
7:35/mi.
7th lady, 1st in my age group

Even though it's not as fast as I could have done well-trained, it's nice to have an annual benchmark at which to begin my training. This time was a minute faster than my previous course PR, so that's some consolation.

Matt ran a solid race, taking fourth place in the 10K, finishing in 39:09.
It's always fun when Matt finishes with 5K runners. How'd you let her beat you, Matt?! Haha.
Just as Rachel and I finished our cooldown, the heavens opened up. Only those finishing mid-pack or later in the 10K were affected, which would have been me. Ran fast enough to beat the rain, woohoo!
Poor Dean wasn't so lucky.
 

All photos: Y. Kim, SRRC credit.

3 comments:

Mary said...

sounds like a hard course. I avoid running in the rain anymore after so long living in it. A note on plantar F: I had it for several months! It's the worst! The way I fixed it was to completely stop running. I pool ran and rode a stationary bike. It took 8 months. Soul destroying but if you don't, you will never get over it. Hope your friend gets healed, it's one of the worst running injuries to have.

Linda W. said...

Great job! I'm not a huge fan of running in the rain, but living in the climate that we do, it's unavoidable.

Karen said...

Mary, PF is one of those terrible lingering injuries, even if you do stop running. Paul stopped for almost three years and had his physical therapist coach him after he began running again so he would build up slowly enough. Even now, he still has some problems.

Linda, Yup. I don't mind short runs in the rain, but long runs are so cold and miserable. No matter what I wear, I'm going to return home soaking wet.