Hatchery 4 Miler: I helped with registration and took bib tags until our final (and 89 year old) runner, John, pictured in the blue jacket, came across the line through his own finish line cheer tunnel. Look at that huge smile on his face! THAT right there is why I love volunteering.
| Y. Kim, SRRC photo. |
My yearly running mileage crept up and by the time I reached the final week of the year, I aimed for 2,345 miles. It wasn't until I returned home from my trip and was reunited with my running log, that I realized my calculations were incorrect and I ended up with 2,360.5 instead. Oops.
I finished the year with 1,741 kitty sightings. Considering all the miles I spent on trails where I didn't want to spot a kitty (read: mountain lion), I'm happy with that number, too.
Aside from the asthma-related DNF I took at a half marathon in August, my allergies and asthma have been calm. I'm not sure what brought on this change, but it's the first year since moving here five years ago that it hasn't severely interfered with my running.
With the exception of the half marathon in September when I was really sick with a cold, all of my goal races went well and I ran a new PR at each of them. I consider my best race this year to be the Siskiyou Outback 50K. All that summertime hiking helped me find my climbing legs and I was surprised to come away with a forty minute course PR.
![]() |
| Candid shot somewhere after halfway. I'm pretty sure I wore this same smile all 31 miles. |
I resumed my yoga practice and spent a lot more time hiking up steep things. Mountains made a big impact on my summer and I'm looking forward to building on that this year. I don't track hiking or walking mileage because one mile never really compares to the next, but it was easily the most hiking I've done in one year.
Twenty-fifteen was the year I said goodbye to my beloved Garmin Forerunner 205. My very first GPS watch was a reliable friend until the very end. After she died during CIM, I went home, opened her up, replaced the battery and she still wouldn't hold a charge. When I looked more closely at the circuit board, I noticed several of the little gold connectors from the battery to the computer had corroded and rusted off, probably from too many runs in the rain. With over 10,000 miles together, it was time. RIP you giant monster, my wrist doesn't feel the same without you!
------
Continuing on in 2016, I'm looking forward to learning more about myself as an athlete and exploring different types of running.
This spring, I'm trying something new: a 50 miler. Training during an El Nino year (read: so. much. rain.) will be a challenge, but that's fine until my Oreos get soggy.
![]() |
| At this point, I think the forecast is a copy-n-paste job of the previous week. |
I'd like to make cross-training more of a priority. Instead of trying to carve out hour-long dates with my yoga mat, I'm aiming for daily short sessions, fifteen or twenty minutes in length. I'm hoping more consistency will bring better results and flexibility. I've settled into a comfortable home practice and am no longer worried about when or where I'll find an official class. If it's meant to be, I'll find one. Look how Zen I am already. ;)
I'd like to help grow the women's running group. So far, there's a core of five or six of us who attend runs regularly, but I'd love for that number to double, especially slower runners. Our group's pace is pretty casual, but many fear they're too slow. I used to be that person, so I have to stress that nobody will be left behind on one of our runs. Sometimes that means I'm almost walking with the last person, but I know all of us have to start somewhere.
| Christmas Eve run. |
------
What kind of goals do you have for 2016? I'd love to hear about them, so leave a comment, please!






6 comments:
Ahh...my goal this year is to get my old, flabby body back into running shape! Sitting out most of the year with a bum foot didn't help..... I've signed up for a half marathon in April and am running the Cascade lakes relay in August. So I need to get my fanny in gear! The good news is I'm consistently logging 2-3 runs per week. Now to up the mileage! Good luck on your goals for 2016.
I've really enjoying reading all about your training this past year (even though I sometimes lurk without commenting!). Looking forward to seeing you take on new challenges in 2016! My goals this year will depend on a certain lottery coming up next week (the OCC, little sister race to UTMB), but mainly I just want to avoid spending more time being injured! So probably more cross-training and strength training is the ticket...
I think your list of goals is solid! I also want to pace at a race somewhere. Perhaps a half or maybe a 10k and volunteer at more races. My big goal (ongoing until it's achieved) is a BQ, of course, but that will take time and I'm accepting that it may carry over into 2017, etc. Oh, and I really appreciate your willingness to run slow for new members of a group. I've gotten to the point where I am always nervous to join groups because I worry they'll be too fast for me. If I lived closer, I'd definitely come out to your group!
I like where this is heading with the 5k and 10k racing ;) Funnily enough, I still found that I needed a lengthy taper to run my best here. Like a 1 week taper hardly made a difference for my 5k time, but then a 2 week taper was huge. So I would still set 1 major 5k goal race (the flattest), and have any others as practise rounds.
On the note of run club intros, I've also found that having that friendly face to make newcomers feel welcome makes a huge difference. I can definitely see you in that role.
2015 was my year to be lazy. And oh, how I was. And now my pants don't fight right. Sigh. So 2016 is my year to get back to it again, and find that elusive balance between doing enough for me and not taking TOO much time away from my family in the process.
Thanks Linda! I'm so happy that your foot is letting you run again. Cascade Lakes sounds AMAZING!
Molly, Fingers crossed that you stay uninjured and get into OCC. That area is gorgeous!
Alison, If I can do it, so can you! The only running gift I have was too stubborn to give up on the dream of a BQ. I can see that same grittiness in you too. Get it, lady! :) As for running slower, I work my schedule so that those are my easy days. And easy days are all about miles, so who cares if they're really slow or really, really slow?
Mike, I'll have to pick your brain RE: training for those short races. I have no idea where to start. Matt and I are thinking of hiring one of our friends to coach us, but the idea of dropping all that money on something we might be able to figure out ourselves, seems like a waste.
Bobbi, Doesn't it always come back to balance? I struggle with this too and I don't even have mommy guilt as my excuse!
Post a Comment