For the past thirty odd years or so,
my running club has given out an award called Quality Runner. Each
recipient is chosen based on outstanding running performance and
volunteer service to the club.
Last year, Matt was chosen for
this honor (
here's where I gush about my amazing husband). That plaque was displayed proudly on the mantle above our
fireplace. As is customary in our running club, the recipient from the previous year presents the award the following year.
 |
| Club Awards Dinner Party, Y. Kim photo. |
A list of accomplishments are read off and the name of the winner is saved for the end. Matt read through a list of race results, mostly local runs, but one caught my attention: "While this runner continues to improve with every race, perhaps their biggest achievement so far came at last year's Boston Marathon, where they ran their current personal record..." Rachel glanced up from across the table with an equally shocked look on her face. She knew who he was talking about too: This year's quality runner was
me.
 |
| Y. Kim, SRRC photo. |
Matt finished his speech and finally announced my name. I made my way to the front of the room, choking back tears as I went. It’s
such an honor to be included with this wonderful group of dedicated and
accomplished runners. As it turns out, this club likes me as much as I like them. Matt presented me with the award and a hug. It was so special to have my husband, my lifelong running buddy, present it to me.
That night, I returned the plaque to the mantle with my name freshly engraved upon the shiny gold plate.
Thank you Six Rivers Running Club for this honor and for helping shape me into someone worthy of this award. I have grown more in these last five years than I could have imagined.
Your love and support have shown me the meaning of true sportsmanship,
camaraderie, and teamwork. This club has become my family and I'm so proud to be a member of such a wonderful group. My life here would not be the same without all of you.
3 comments:
Woo-hoo! Congratulations!
That is fantastic! Congratulations!
Huge Congrats!! Well Done Kid
Post a Comment