I stroke her head, speaking in my softest calm voice. On days that I'm nervous, I notice that she echoes my emotional distress and squirms more, so I try my very best to relax.
I draw a deep relaxing breath myself and begin. I coax her mouth open and stuff the pill popper tool inside. Before she can resist or gag, the pill has already made it down her throat. I hold her mouth closed for a moment until I see her swallow and then tilt her upright again. I am so thankful that she's grown to trust me, even if she will never understand why I do this to her.
I set the pill tool on the floor and turn her around in my lap. My Zoey burrito rolls on the floor until I'm able to unwrap her. Once she's free from the towel, she parks herself next to her food dish just a couple feet away. Even though she doesn't like pill time, she no longer hides from me afterward. Just two weeks into treatment, she has learned that every pill garners her something delicious and she patiently awaits the reward. Today it's chicken. She gobbles it down, then looks up, expecting more.
Throughout the first few months of treatment, a trip back to the vet for lab work is required. Zoey and I sit patiently on the bench, waiting our turn. Zoey doesn't appear nervous, but she recoils in her carrier when noisy dogs pass. They take her into the back room and a few minutes later return. She's already working on beautifying her fur surrounding the needle site by the time I take care of the bill. The technician compliments Zoey's cooperative demeanor and I nod, thankful that this process isn't any more difficult. She goes on to explain that some cats require sedation or a whole team of staff to restrain, but Zoey just lies there. We'll find out the results early next week and determine how to proceed with treatment from there.
| I don't know how this position is comfortable. |
6 comments:
Cute pic of you and Zoey! Hope that the treatments work.
Oh, what a sweetie. I can clip Puffin's toenails, but Callie's, not a chance. I hope it is good news for her.
Just went back and read about Zoey's diagnosis...I have a cat-family-member as well and can't imagine the difficult road ahead. You write beautifully about the respect you have for her quality of life. She's lucky to have you taking care of her :)
Glad you have found a way to make pill time work. Hoping the results from the vet are good.
Oh, Karen, I'm catching up on bloggy reading and just found out about Zoey. Oh, honey, so, so sorry. Zoey looks a lot like my beloved cat Migs, whom we had to put down two years ago (can it really have been two years?). Knowing that you are going to eventually lose a good friend is so, so hard, and I'm sure it's harder since you've gone through cancer treatment yourself and understand what it's like.
Zoey is in good hands. Enjoy the time you have. I swear, knowing that Beebs was going to go was such a gift. It made every minute special. And one to two years is a long time in cat years. I'm sure you'll use them well.
Big, big hugs to all, and pets and chicken to Zoey.
Linda, Thanks! So far they seem to be working.
Mary, She has always been such a sweetie. :) It took me about three years before she'd let me trim her nails.
Lia, Thank you. This comment means a lot to me. :)
Abby, Same here!
Cinthia, Matt and I talked about that a few weeks ago. Would we rather know and savor these moments or remain ignorant until the day she doesn't wake up from a nap? I'm thankful that kitty chemo is nothing like human chemo except for the protocols and routines. On chemotherapy, she seems healthier than she was, so that is really nice to see.
Post a Comment