Monday, March 23, 2015

Last Week: March 15-21

Wow, look at me. Actually posting a weekly recap with one week instead of several. I'm trying to make a point to share and blog more instead of retreating into my own cocoon. The longer days have definitely helped with the motivation.

Last week was unusual. I didn't take a single step from my own doorstep. Two trips were squeezed together to make one really satisfying week. It was plenty of miles, hard work, gorgeous scenery, and good company.

Sunday: Run 12 trail miles, not timed.
Headwaters hill party with Nikki. She was sore from weight training, I was sore from the previous day's 20 miler. We went slow to enjoy the scenery and company. Beautiful way to spend my Sunday morning.


Monday: Rest! 
I love rest days. Just when I feel like I'm on the edge of exhaustion, I take a full day off and I perk right back up.

Tuesday: Run 5.5 miles, 43:28, 7:54/mi. in Rogue River, OR.
1.25 mi warmup and cool down, 3 miles @ 7:07/mi. (goal: 7:09-7:26)
We ran up and down the same bike path that the half marathon in February covered. The whole time I was running the tempo portion, my thoughts were “WHY DOES THIS HURT SO MUCH!?!?” Oh, well. 7:07 average for three miles explains it. Nice work legs, you’re getting strong.

Wednesday: Run 8 mi, 1:09:53, 9:44/mi. one kitty.

Gorgeous run on the same trail as the day before, only outside of Ashland, OR. They’re debuting a marathon on this path on my 31st birthday, I might just have to skip the half this year and upgrade to the marathon. That afternoon, I passed THE Hal Koerner on the sidewalk and he smiled at me like we were pals, so it's official, I'm moving to Oregon.

Thursday: Run 7 mi, 6 @ MRP, goal: 7:49/mi.

This run, I tried to focus on hitting the pace. With rolling hills, it was a little difficult to pace. I forced myself to slow down several times per mile. The next two MRP runs, I will try to focus on nailing that 7:49 pace.

Hike 2 miles. A short walk to break up the drive home. Jedediah Smith Redwoods S.P.


Friday: Run 5.25 trail miles in Weaverville. 9:48/mi.
Relatively flat sunset run with Rachel. The dry, fresh air felt wonderful.


Saturday: Hike 9 mi, 4,400 ft. gain. in the Trinity Alps.
On the way out to another adventure, we noticed that there wasn't much snow on Granite Peak. Scrapping our long run idea for a grueling climb up the mountain, we made it about 400 ft shy of the top.


Since we hadn't planned on this route, we didn't have the right traction to make it up a forty-five degree angle to the true summit. No matter, it still was GORGEOUS. It was a bit sad that there's so little snow up here. Fire season is going to be a meanie this year.

TOTALS:
Running Miles: 37.25
Hiking Miles: 11
Kitties: 1

Notes: Strong week, strong views, good vibes. I'm not even sad about the kitty count, because if I had encountered more of them they would have been mountain lions and I'll be happy if I never see one of those guys again.

5 comments:

bobbi said...

That is a GORGEOUS pic of you and Matt on your hike. Christmas card worthy!

When I saw your kitty count of 1 on that run I actually went back to see if I'd missed the kitties on the previous runs. You have me trained :)

Linda W. said...

There's trilliums blooming in our woods now too! You run in some very nice places.

Karen said...

Bobbi, I've got Matt trained,too. Even though I saw only one kitty for the week, he told me he saw 10 and 8 on the runs he did while I was away.

Linda, Trilliums look a little misplaced in the redwoods here. And yes, this week, I definitely had some gorgeous scenery.

Abby said...

Wow. Such beautiful places.
While I LOVE the kitty count, mountain lion count I hope is always 0.

Karen said...

Abby, Same here. In general, I'm not afraid of wildlife, but mountain lions scare the crap out of me.