I've never been very good at making friends. Too quick to retreat into my comfortable shell, I sometimes wonder if I miss out on things in life due to my intense shyness. One thing thing I am good at, however, is knowing pretty much right away whether I can be comfortable enough to let a stranger in. Through one of Matt's friends, I met Rachel. From our very first run together talking nonsense about a killer deal I scored on a camel through some "buy two humps, get one free" sale on Black Friday, I knew that my dry humor and silliness was not only accepted, it was encouraged. Even though she ended up stealing the running club's circuit win from me at the last race (grrr!!), we took it upon ourselves to assume an automatic invitation whenever the boys ran together.
 |
| Shasta Springs Trail |
Spring marathon training came along and suddenly Matt's and my running duo became a trio. We watched as Rachel effortlessly ran new distance PRs: sixteen, eighteen, twenty, and twenty-one miles. Miles passed quickly as we teased, shared stories, and counted kitties. Just the other day, Matt mentioned that it's easy to find running buddies for short runs, but it takes a special person to endure several hours of running with us so we consider ourselves lucky when we find someone who wants to take on that sort of road mileage.
Through a series of changed plans, Rachel and I found ourselves headed inland on a Friday afternoon. We stepped out of the car and into the dry mountain air. My heart sighed with contentment, this is my happy place.
 |
| Leopard Lily already in bloom at 3,500 ft. |
We dashed off onto a trail tracing the mountainside, the last bit of evening light fading from the sky. Surrounded by peaks in every direction, I'm always surprised by how this place, so wide open and airy, can feel so cozy. The easy 5.25 mile run proved to be the perfect warmup for our Saturday adventure in the Trinity Alps.
5 comments:
I feel the same way about hiking. It's easy to find day hikers who will go four miles, but longer than that or overnight? Really hard. Glad you have a running buddy! I'd run with you if I lived closer, but not sure I could always keep up.
What pretty flowers! Yes, I find that not all my friends want to hike and ski to the level that I do, and it's sometimes hard to find compatible companions for my adventures.
I'm a little jealous, I think finding someone like Rachel would make me want to try a 3rd marathon. Training for one by myself was hard, my dedication was awful. I need a push and a running buddy would do just that. But you're so right, you need to be able to get along for 3+ hours! Glad she waltzed into your life! xoxo, ganeeban
So amazing that you have such wonderful people to run with and such a beautiful area.
Mary and Linda, I agree. Some of my friends have said they're afraid they're slowing me down. I wish I could convince them that it's more about the company than the destination.
S, I don't think I'd train for marathons if it weren't for my running buddies.
Abby, This part of California is gorgeous!
Post a Comment