Thursday, January 09, 2014

Getting Healthy at Bear Lake

It has been one month since CIM and beginning allergy shots (immunotherapy). The first few injections went fine. I've never had a rash or severe reaction. Instead, fatigue mounted, growing worse and worse, adding sinus symptoms with each passing treatment. Compared to my typical productivity level, I was barely functioning.  Matt and I pushed off a backpacking trip by a day or two, effectively splitting his long weekend in half, but I insisted we went anyways. Frustrated with the string of weeks that felt awful, I decided I needed some mental recharge even if I was physically weak.  For this reason, we split a ten mile day hike into a three day backpacking trip in the mountains.

This winter has been particularly dry, making higher elevation mountains accessible. Due to the southern exposure of the trail as it climbed the Bear Creek drainage, we encountered no snow whatsoever.  As we climbed, we debated whether or not this was truly winter camping. For this area, the temperatures were chillier than a typical winter, but with the lack of snow, what would we call it? Near the top, we did encounter a fair amount of ice blocking the trail; it was never so widespread that we had major trouble going around it.

Our first day was mostly spent driving to the trail, we followed along the creek for a mile and then set up camp in the most level spot we could find. For the first time, I got to test out the birthday present I got back in September, the Thermarest Neoair. I can barely feel the ground beneath me and it deflates to the size of a water bottle. I'm pretty sure this has become my favorite gift ever.  Either it is just that awesome or I'm really easy to please. You decide.
Does anybody else think that freeze dried mac and cheese looks like Cheetos?
The end of December is a fine time to go backpacking in California. To me, the temperatures are perfect. My backpack is warm and always makes me feel like I'm wearing a parka. Give me temps between 20F and 50F and I will want to backpack all the time. Being near the winter solstice also means we spend a lot of time in the dark. By 7pm, Matt and I were cozy in our sleeping bags, telling stories to each other and chatting. With how busy he has been and how sick I've felt, we haven't had a lot of bonding time. I really enjoyed our conversations. This was a wonderful weekend to reconnect.

 We would finally reach the lake on our second day. Matt and I climbed higher as I dreamed of the wonderfully refreshing dip I'd take in Bear Lake, one of the largest in the Trinity Alps. The sun was shining and the morning warmed up fast. By the time we reached the lake, it was 50F and I was covered in sweat from the climb. I shed layers as I approached the shoreline, wasting no time getting to the swim part. As I passed the final stand of trees, my heart saddened. The lake was closed for the winter, hidden beneath about a foot of solid ice. Boo. We spent much of the afternoon sunbathing on the shore instead. This paradise was all ours.

By 2PM, the sun had already lowered behind the cirque opposite our campsite and we decided to climb up for a better vantage point over the lake, bushwhacking and clawing my way up rocks I have no business climbing. For how limited my upper body mobility is, I still find surprise in the amount of climbing I can still do even though I'm effectively climbing with just one arm.




Looks like it's time to head back.
It was another early night to bed and we told Puffball and Princess Karen stories into the evening hours. Loud moans and creaks came from the cooling lake. They echoed out of the Bear Lake bowl and off of nearby mountains. They were so loud that I could hear them through my earplugs.  The night's sleep wasn't restful at all. I was pushing the borders of my 15F sleeping bag. It keeps you alive at 15F but not comfortable enough to rest. I reheated a metal water bottle and the bag suddenly flooded with warmth, enough to get at least a couple hours' worth of rest.

The next morning, we retreated back to the car, marveling at the crisp view of Mt. Shasta across the valley. At first we didn't recognize the mountain. How could it be Shasta, it wasn't white enough? Mt. Shasta is the easiest mountain to identify as she's completely white year round. Even she agreed, we all could use a little bit more of the white stuff.
That's Shasta above the ridge behind us.
With a few days of relaxing and dry mountain air, I felt marginally better. My heart was full again.

The perfect couples' weekend.
It would take a few more days of recovery and the doctor's recommendation to discontinue the allergy shots until I would truly begin to feel rested again. I don't know what further treatment is in store for me, but my allergist will have a hard time convincing me to resume the shots.

9 comments:

Mary said...

That lake is beautiful! I am jealous of your "winter" temps, but I'm afraid for California with such a drought. Might be a lot of fires this summer.

giraffy said...

as always, everything is so pretty! I hope your dr can come up with a better solution and you feel better soon.

Abby said...

You are so brave. I would never be able to camp out if it got below 50 at night, the Southerner in me is a wuss. It looks beautiful though.

Jeano said...

Ahhhh, such beautiful scenery!!!! It's a shame that you had to extend a 10-mile hike to 3 days (or reduce the number of miles you planned to cover over that same time period?), but that also must have given you so much more time to explore/relax!

Until a couple of years ago, I never backpacked with sleeping pads. I figured they just took up space and I could handle sleeping on uneven ground for a few nights. That (sort of) worked for a long time, until I went hiking in the Appalachians in the winter and realized how important they are for heat retention!! Those were some of the most miserable nights I've ever had to endure. We were all so miserable we spent most of the last day running and combined two days' mileage into one. I bought a new fancy sleeping pad as soon as we were done!

Jill said...

I nearly froze to death in a zero degree bag when it was 35 degrees at night (and I had 40 layers on)...I don't think those sleeping bag numbers are correct ;).

Gorgeous pictures. I'm glad your heart was beaming...and I definitely hope that allergy stuff will stay at bay. I deal with chronic allergies so I fully understand!

Happy New year!! :)

Karen said...

Mary, We have had several little fires already. 2013 was dry too, so it could mean big problems if we don't make up the difference soon. There are several places declaring drought emergencies already and usage restrictions should go up soon. Our water source here (Ruth Lake) isn't at risk at all, but much of the Central Valley gets their water from really dry reservoirs.

Heather, I hope so too.

Abby, I'm a true northern girl. Give me the deep freeze over hot and humid any day. I wouldn't be able to handle backpacking above 70F. Too much sweating. That's why I don't backpack in the summer. This particular area gets into the 80s and 90s.

Jeano, Yes, we split the mileage over three days. It was really nice to have a relaxed trip, usually we like to push our fitness levels.

You're completely right! Sleeping pads are a must, not just in the winter. I went on a backpack trip in Denali park in August once and it was similarly cold to this trip and I FROZE. It was horrible. It's even more true in snow, nobody wants to wake up the next morning in a big soggy puddle in their sleeping bag.

Jill, For me, the key is to keeping my feet and head warm. In that dark picture of me with the black pants, hat, and neck gaiter you'll also see my down booties. Lifesavers, I tell you. Some sleeping bags, synthetic ones in particular, lose their insulating factor as they age. Maybe that's the problem with yours?

As for my allergies, I think I'm on the cusp of figuring something out. Either that or I'm just getting used to feeling like garbage most of the time. My asthma symptoms have gone away at least.

Molly said...

Looks like a beautiful hike! Have you used your Neoair much without a foam pad under? I've heard it doesn't insulate very well, so I'm still a traditional self-inflating Therm-a-rest gal...

Musings of a Girly Tomboy said...

That is a gorgeous hike right there! I'm bummed to hear the shots aren't working as hoped for - but I hope it takes a turn for the better. My experience with them was fantastic, besides the time I had a bad reaction :/

Karen said...

Molly, I used it the second night of this trip without a second pad. I don't think it did as good a job as my self-inflating thermarest pad.

S, I'm glad you had good luck with them most of the time. I'll see if my doctor can provide some ideas. It makes a lot more sense to treat the cause of my allergies rather than just hide the symptoms.