Saturday, August 10, 2013

Flirting with Injury on the Headwaters Trail

Lately, my runs have taken on a consistent pattern. I feel sluggish for the first mile or two and then my body suddenly wakes. Then everything pops open and loosens up.  Some people say they like running shortly after they get up in the morning so they can get going before they're fully conscious.  Morning running for me is more the equivalent of someone shaking me awake while they scream loudly.  No matter how much I try to like it and give it a chance, it doesn't return the same affections and patience.

Matt and I began with the rolling hills on our approach to the Elk River bridge.  Today more than usual, I was happy to have a gentler warmup before tackling the main hill, that 1,200 ft. climb over the next two miles.  The gentle warmup felt anything but gentle.  I swear, for the entire 28 minutes it took to reach the river, I thought to myself, This is too fast.  I'm going out too fast.  This won't end well.

Then we began our skyward climb through the recovering Redwood forest.  As we climbed the numerous switchbacks on the trail, the trees grew shorter.  Just as it appeared we would run out of trees entirely, the trail twisted into a gully and revealed towering giants once again.  Most of this was a brisk walk, giving me the same breathlessness than the track workout on Thursday did.  Matt and I marched along without saying a word.  We would have to stop to catch our breath before beginning a conversation.

Matt and I came across two other runners near the turnoff for the final loop at the top.  Later we would catch up to them on the descent.  Matt enjoyed the fact that we only came across people when we were feeling really strong.  We made this look easy.  I'm glad they didn't see me when I looked like I was melting and drenched in fresh beads of sweat.

The grove at the top is likely this hiking trail exists at all.  It is gorgeous.  Once again, as is tradition, I shout to Matt, "This is my favorite spot!!"  I was able to finally catch my breath, after nearly an hour on the trail and was enjoying myself.  The trail wove through and under the giant stumps and it was slow enough going with the corners that it felt extra easy. 

As we rounded a corner, I felt my right foot slip and I rolled my ankle.  Hard.  I heard a loud popping noise and felt the resulting instant surge of pain rush through me.  Immediately, I stopped to assess the injury.  I wiggled my ankle and the pain turned to soreness.  I began walking again and the muscles released.  Nothing was broken or torn.  (Later in the day, it seemed more like my knee took more of a hit, we'll watch it this week and see what happens.) I began running again and everything felt great.  Whew.  I often roll my ankle on trail runs, but it doesn't make a noise or hurt quite like that did.  Hopefully everything will be well for Marquette one week from today.

We continued down the trail at a nice clip, pausing only briefly for switchbacks, careful not to roll my ankle again.  When we reached the river again at mile 8, I was pretty tired but surprised to see that it was well under 90 minutes, I could PR my course time with a 10:00/mi the rest of the way.

I was careful to pace myself through the final miles, stopping to walk less than I think I ever have before.  It was beautiful.  There was also an ocean breeze filtering up the river valley and cooling us nicely.  With half a mile to go, Matt picked up the pace to challenge himself and I did the same, following a bit behind him.  I sprinted to the end and shaved about two and a half minutes from my previous best.  I'm ready for Marquette, rest up quick there right leg! I need you next weekend!

1:57:45
11 miles
10:42/mi.
about 2,000 ft. climbing

Have you ever had any close calls with injury?  
Please tell me your positive stories!  :)

6 comments:

Laura @ Mommy run fast said...

So glad you were okay!! I've noticed the same thing with my runs lately- I start out about a 9 minute pace for 1-2 miles, then start to feel good and can hold a better pace til the end, and even pick it up at the end. The earlier I wake up, the slower those first few miles are. :)

Abby said...

I will never get over how beautiful your pictures are of all the redwood trees.

Anonymous said...

That is a cute tradition about saying it's your favorite spot!

Nice job on the route PR. You definitely sound ready for Marquette! I would think that if your ankle was okay to run on so soon after you rolled it, it will be fine. You could always stick an ankle brace in a drop bag at Marquette in case you have trouble with it mid-race.

Good luck!!

-Alicia

Jill said...

The trails you run on are so entirely different than the trails I run (duh), I am always sitting here drooling at your pictures. There is no shade here in Colorado (but we do have lots of rock :)).

Um...you know me an my injury history. I hope it's just a little niggle and you're back to feeling great stat!

meghan said...

Nice job. This run looks beautiful. I wish we had forests like this with these views in Florida. I guess our beach runs and bridges are pretty in a different way. I'm glad your ankle turned out to be okay, and I hope it continues to be as your go through the week. Hearing noises scares me when I've made a strange movement as well. I think if you didn't feel anything initially or within a few hours you probably just popped something? I'm sending you well wishes.

Karen said...

Laura, I'm definitely a mid-afternoon runner. I know most people can't schedule it that way, but my body feels most awake then. :)

Abby, I don't think I'll ever get over it either!

Alicia, My ankle is fine, but I do have a tight twinge in that same knee. It isn't painful, just a tightness. Of course it might be just a whole lot of worrying because I'm not running much and agonize over the tiniest of niggles.

Jill, I drool over your pictures too. I don't think I'll ever get sick of the Redwoods or mountain running. I do need to check out Colorado sometime though.

Meghan, The noise it made was the most alarming part. My ankles do pop regularly when I stretch, so that's probably all it was. But wow, it was really really loud.