Monday, March 21, 2011

Three Things

1. Some days I have zero motivation to keep on training for Green Bay. I read blogs from people I have never met and draw inspiration. One of my favorite bloggers just finished her first EVER race and I'm so proud of her, because I remembered what it felt like to finish my first race, and am totally stoked she enjoyed it so much that I could feel the excitement through the computer screen.
Others inspire me by their grand adventures, whom I'd never be able to keep up with if I were out with them.
Then there are the blogs I follow which are weight loss specific and they focus on counting calories. That got me thinking about my own intake. I used to keep a food journal, not counting calories at all, just writing things down. I quit doing that two years ago and have had no weight change since. So just out of curiosity, I tracked my intake for the past two days. One column for what I thought I was taking in, and then the other for the true amount I found online for those foods. My guesses were within 100 cal. for the total day. And I consume between 2,000 - 2,200 calories (the day after a long run I usually come closer to 2,500) a day. This is enough to keep running about 35-40 miles a week and not feel hungry. I don't know how dieters can keep to 1,200 cal. a day, even if they don't keep up the mileage I do. I also don't know how people can count calories everyday and not go batty. Counting calories seems like a bizarre form of punishment. Instead of being fixated on not eating, it changes the fixation towards reaching a certain number. In my experience, to have a healthy relationship with food, it's essential to NOT be obsessed about it. No counting for me, thanks. What do you do to keep your weight under control?

2. In an ideal world, I want to produce almost all of my own food or at least know where it all comes from.

The first three darlings from my very own garden :


Today, my lunch has come closer than most other meals, so I thought I'd share it with you :

- Homemade Celery Herb Bread.
- Loleta Sharp Cheddar Cheese. (produced 10 miles away)
- Mustard!! (I've become a mustard whore lately--I put it on everything!!)
- Lettuce
- Turkey
- Humboldt Creamery Skim Milk (produced 5 miles away)
- Radishes! The first crops from MY garden!

I just need to get my chicken coop up so I can get some meaties to replace the store-bought turkey.

3. The previous owners of my house were lazy. They did all kinds of improvements in the house themselves, but they did a half-assed job. Every time Matt and I turn around, there's something else that looks crappy. (about half of the wiring in the garage goes to nowhere. it's just a tangled mess of wires that are connected to things and then ones that aren't. and they didn't put any of the doorhandles on correctly.) Our most recent gripe is the kitchen counter. They filled the grout only halfway to the top of the tile and didn't smooth it out or seal it. Food got stuck and never came out. Matt has never done grout work before, but his job looks AMAZING.





Now it's time to relax before my tempo run. Move over, Zoey.....

2 comments:

Danni said...

I'm pretty sure my weight isn't under control. I wish I could find a way to make money off my uncanny ability to fluctuate wildly.

The sandwich looks divine.

Ewa said...

That sandwich makes me hungry!
Counting calories can be counterproductive since our bodies do not metabolize food the same way. And it is quite boring too.
I so agree with #2. Now I may not be able to produce my own food but I love supporting local farmers.

Great job on those counters.