Thursday, March 31, 2011

Acceptance...for now

Sitting out in the hot tub this afternoon, the fog finally burning off to reveal a brief hour of sunshine, I announced to Matt that it would be hard to leave our house when we finally decided to move. It has taken several hiking and backpacking trips to get me to warm up to living in a place without winter. With the recent summertime pattern (no rain and lots of fog) that began a few days ago, Matt told me that his coworkers have been warning him of how cloudy and dark and depressing it all is. "You're gonna hate it, it's soooooooo terrible". Matt has begun to believe it will be miserable. I gently reassured him that he could handle it. After all, it would be cloudy and 65F rather than completely dark 21 hrs of the day and 40 below. Surely the summertime weather here would be tolerable. We could run without freezing toes. We could drive inland. It will be light outside. It will be warm. "It's not going to be that bad honey..especially since we both like coffee." As I convinced him that we'd be just fine, I heard my voice convincing myself that I've not only stopped hating California, but actually thinking it was nice.

Until tonight. I'd been following this blog since last year's WM100 when a Fairbanks friend, Julie, mentioned it on her own blog. Tears streamed down my face as Jill described the town and landscape with such loving admiration; the scrubby Black Spruce blanketed in snow. Her mention of the racers, some of whom I know and have raced with personally, caused something to snap inside of me. It's not a maybe for me anymore... I will be returning. Matt's next job transfer has to be Fairbanks. It took us leaving to finally realize how special a place it is. At Matt's going away party, I casually mentioned to John L. and Ed that we'd see them both in a few years. They laughed, disbelievingly. To my Fairbanks followers, I love you and miss you!!! :(

Here's my post from a few months ago with out plan : here
and here
It has been a recurring theme in my blog ever since we left...something that never leaves my mind entirely. The sting disappears, but it is still there, with a big scab covering the wound. *sigh*

Until then, will we squeeze every ounce of adventure out of Northern California? HECK YES. Run ourselves ragged with multi-marathon years, then North we go!

2 comments:

Mary said...

I've lived in 11 states and there were some I felt that way about (Central Idaho, I love you). But I've found that a) going back is different; and b) there are so many great NEW places too. You are in a rough spot because the disparity is so great. CA...and AK...hard not to compare. The fog and rain eventually got me too (Port Angeles, one year. Sitka, 7). Every place has its merits. I lived in the Sierras and loved it. Plenty of winter there!

Ewa said...

I like Jill's blog too. She is a good writer and photographer.
CA grows on you. It took me forever to get used to it but now I love it.
I am beginning to think that it is more about my attitude and not the place I live.