Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Terrible Twenty

Four days after racing the half marathon, I tried my long run, the first 20-miler since the really icy and cold one in Michigan. And it sucked. A lot.

(Reason it was so close to the half was that the forecast was to be nicest and Matt starts overnights tomorrow and is really cranky when he doesn't get enough sleep. Drag him out during overnights and the dragon will come out of him.)

Reasons it sucked :
1. The route I used was a 10-miler out and back. 10 miles into the wind and 10 with it.

2. I went out too fast for how badly the wind was blowing. return trip = no energy.

3. The warmest day since .... umm... since I moved here. Salt formed around my headband and slipped into my eyes. I had lots of my usual "hot weather" chafing spots. Also, I had to pee and decided, since the road was busy, I'd pull my shorts and undies aside and not put them around my knees, in case a car snuck up on me. This resulted in lots of salty pee on my shorts. I got fabulous chafing spots where the wet shorts rubbed between my legs. Lesson learned. (sometimes I can do suuuper idiotic things)

4. Sore IT band forced me to stop and stretch every mile for the first five. Then the aching mysteriously disappeared.

Matt was ready to leave me when I continued to whine about this and that going wrong. But it was the worst run I had in quite some time, so whine I did. We ended up going 19.5 miles at an average 9:45/mi pace.

And I'm done with 20's for two weeks. THANK GOODNESS. *whew* I've got three more 20+ scheduled before the race, so I can redeem myself later.

No comments: