Thursday, June 08, 2017

Trinity Alps Weekend: Stuart Fork

Morning comes much later on Sunday. We enjoy our coffee lazily as we dine on muffins and hard boiled eggs. Unlike the previous day's run, this one begins right from our campsite. It's still cool at nine o'clock when we finally manage to hit the trail.
The Stuart Fork trail is one of the few in this wilderness that is currently passable. Both free of snow and downed trees (thank you trail crews!), it's a quick easy jaunt. Tall mountains shroud the trail and river in shadow and it stays relatively cool the whole way through.
I once backpacked this trail, noticing how gentle the climb is and how it remains singletrack for a good long time without any of the granite staircases that the Trinity Alps is known to have. It's a really great non-technical run that passes quickly. Most years.
Since this year marked not only the end to the drought but near record snowfall, the small meandering creeks have changed to rushing torrents. Things I remember rock hopping over in the past are now knee deep.
And I love it. I don't usually love running with wet feet, but the dry air of summertime creek crossings mean that my legs cool off a bit and my shoes eventually dry. Each crossing is refreshing.

Before we know it, we've reached our turn around spot. We have a small snack and a sip of water before turning around. On our return trip, we catch back up to the groups of backpackers we passed on the way out. Rachel and I try to talk Matt into making growling bear noises as he approaches, but he declines. Party pooper.
It's not until we're making our way back that I realize how steadily the climb has been. We move downhill swiftly, almost keeping pace with the river beside the trail. Arriving back at camp with a solid negative split and a new Strava segment CR, we make quick business of breaking camp and preparing lunch.
After gobbling down all of our leftover tacos and nut-seed burgers, we hit the road. We make one last coffee stop at Starbucks before leaving town. Given how many times we've visited in the last three days, we are surprised that the barista is still zero for three on spelling our names right. I think she did this to mess with us.
"Ratchel" is the best one!
Our gigantic coffee drinks are enough to sustain us the whole way home and the caffeine buzz helps us plan our next trail adventure together.

Weekend Totals:
Saturday, 14 miles, 3:07, 2047 ft gain.
Sunday, 12.5 miles, 2:54, 2053 ft gain. (run described above)

3 comments:

Mary said...

I wonder if they misspell names on purpose. Because, "caren"?

Linda W. said...

My daughter Denise once had her name spelled as "Tinease" on her Starbucks cup. Yeah, I think some of those baristas get their kicks purposely misspelling people's names.

Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home said...

Every time I read one of your adventures, I'm so envious. We have little urban/suburban oases and they are beautiful, but nothing like this!