![]() |
| Meanwhile, my friends are adding me into their photos so I don't feel left out on long run day. |
That left me with no summertime plans. While all my friends are gearing up for the SOB 50K without me (I'll be at a wedding in the U.P. that day anyways), I had to find my own goal.
![]() |
| I'm still going on adventure runs with friends. This was last week's B double E double R U N that went through the forest to the brewery. So fun! |
That's how my dream of a fast summertime 5K was born.
Okay, cool. I've got a goal. So now what? I did a lot of research. I asked my fast friends. Eventually I came up with a plan. Weekly tempo runs would be combined with some sort of interval training, whether formally on a track or in the form of a fartlek run. I'm keeping my mileage at a moderate level, shooting for around fifty miles a week. My tempo runs have been right around my goal 5K pace, so essentially I've been running a time trial every other week or so. Last week's was a 3.5 mile run at 6:50/mi., which is technically faster than my current 5K PR, so that's encouraging.
Since I've never trained for a 5K, I'm not quite sure what my goal should be. One friend thought I should try to break twenty minutes. If I'm being honest, this is where the whole idea began. Sub twenty would be awesome! Whether or not I make it to that goal, I'd love to bring my PR down just a little bit closer to that this season.
My racing plans are as follows:
June 17: Father's Day 5K. I've never run this one before. It's flat and paved and looks like it has enough of a field in the 20-21 minute range to provide some support. While some people like being a big fish in a little pond and win prizes with a slower time, I'd really like to be the little fish with a faster PR. :) Added bonus: I'm running this one with my sister, Mom, and sister's boyfriend too. The boyfriend runs about the same times I do, so I'd reallllly like to beat him, haha!
July 4th: Arcata Marsh 5K. This is our club's cross country 5K. I doubt I'll run a PR here, but I'd like to remove some time from my 22:38 course best instead.
July 16: Fortuna Rodeo 5K. If there's one race each year worthy of an all out effort, it would be this one. Perfectly straight, perfectly flat. This is the one race where I'm hoping to peak. I'm hoping that I can find someone in my pace range to really push me. The previous race director resigned, but Matt agreed to direct it this year so I can try and run fast. No pressure, right? ;)
----
Have you ever trained for a 5K? Any advice on training or mental tricks to use while racing? Share your wisdom! This is uncharted territory for me.




3 comments:
I used to run 5Ks all the time, though I can't say I ever "trained" since the idea of training was so minimal back in the old days. You just went out and ran as fast as you could, every single run. (Maybe that is why I got burnt out). Anyway, I think they are the most difficult distance. I never broke twenty but came pretty close. I think you can do it!!
I am not a huge fan of some of my cross training, but the difference between us is that I'm old and I need to do it. My body just does not appreciate running every day.
I used to run 5ks back in the day when I started running--but that was 25 years ago! I haven't done one in years and I don't know how I'd train for it. My coach makes me do 3 mile repeats for my marathon training--I usually make them into 5k repeats just because. What I'd really like to do is a mile race.
I've never trained for a 5K so I'm looking forward to see what you do for inspiration ;)
I use Jack Daniels to design workouts, have you taken a look at that?
Post a Comment