![]() |
| I heart Cal Trans webcams! |
![]() |
| The day before: Rain and hail on the coast. We are not pleased. |
A mountaintop several miles off the main highway is where all the locals go for snow. They build snowmen, forts, and sled til that icy chill sets in. It's not great to run because there's nothing at the top but a parking lot. I don't think we'd get that far up the curvy mountain road, not with the eight inches predicted to fall while we were out, but assume a run on the road will be worth the drive. We have the place to ourselves as we pull onto a wide parking area already buried six inches in the snow. Ruby Sue the Subaru has never gone through snow like that before and handles it like a champ. Good Girl. Now wait for us here, please!
When it's 40 degrees on the coast, it feels so cold. Out here, thirty feels about the same. As Lanore and I pull on our layers, mittens and hats, I realize something: the only difference is how I dress. I'm never dress warm enough on the coast because the grass is green. Green Grass=warm. There's no way it's going to be cold. But in the snow, a different part of my brain lights up: Snow=cold. Of course you want mittens. I know to point the car downhill toward the road in case I get snowed up and need gravity's help; there's a shovel in the back. This is the kind of winter I know how to do! :) Today, I'm finally back where winter makes sense!
![]() |
| By coincidence, both of us wore Boston Marathon jackets too. |
She stops and asks, "did you hear that?" My ears perk up, searching for a sound. There have been several loose dogs nearby so I'm cautious to listen for one, but nothing is there. "That sound the snow makes when I run on it, it's so cool!" she finally says. I'm not sure Lanore has ever run on this much snow. How fun.
We test the snow depth as we climb higher up the road. We pass several groups of people out sledding on the hillsides. Since we've chosen to run up the road, a few people stop to ask if we need help, assuming the only reason we're outside of a car is because ours is stranded somewhere. The snow is now almost six inches deep and punchy in spots. It's fun to find a route through the web of tire tracks.
After an hour of steady elevation gain, we decide to turn around. Now headed downhill to the car, I can see partway down the valley. Beneath a thin layer of cloud, everything is white. Rare for this area to have such widespread snow, I try to pick out a lower elevation spot where it's still green. There isn't one.
![]() |
| About knee deep at 4,100 ft. |
Once we're back to the car, I fire up the stove. I brought hot cocoa and coffee to brew up before we head home. Lanore surprises me with some homemade vegetable beef soup.
![]() |
| Wintertime edition of: "My Life is a Subaru Ad." |
![]() |
| Oh yeah. |
The best part about this sort of adventure is that I can leave the snow behind. I go home to my ice-free sidewalk, clear driveway, and safe pavement. I might get hosed by the rain on a regular basis, but my running routes don't have to match the plow routes or avoid icy sidewalks. If it weren't for my terrible
![]() |
| Home: Green again, with a little bit of small hail on the patio. |














3 comments:
I wouldn't mind living in a place where I could leave the snow behind! We have no snow here, which is really weird for January. I hate to admit it, but I'd like some! It's supposed to be 50 later in the week. The weather is crazy!
I love that I can drive to play in the snow but not have to deal with it on a daily basis. Well...usually.....This week we had 9 inches of snow fall over Tuesday night. It was fun for the first day, but it hasn't melted yet, and now it's just an icy pain.
Wendy, It makes winter so much more enjoyable!
Linda, Same here! I heard about the snowstorm in Portland, I'm sure the roads were a mess for awhile afterward too.
Post a Comment