Thursday, January 26, 2017

January Running and PT

It wasn't until I was on mile ten of my long run last week that I realized I hadn't shared any of my training yet this year. When this blog goes untouched for more than a week, it's safe to assume I've been out on an adventure somewhere. At least that's the excuse I like to give. Sometimes training isn't all that interesting too. *Shrug*

The first few weeks of training are always an adjustment. Whether it's that my legs don't remember how to run fast or my head has forgotten what it feels like to push the pace, I always struggle the most with the first several weeks of training. Speed workouts give me anxiety and it's sometimes hard to get back into a rhythm. Once I'm out there, my legs and head snap back into training mode and it's fine.

While training for Boston has officially begun, I've turned the first eight weeks into a microcycle leading up to a half marathon on February 18th. Speed workouts have been shorter and faster and half marathon pace replaces marathon pace. Otherwise, it's pretty much business as usual around here:

January 1-7: 45 miles
 Long Run:
  •  14 miles, 2:01, 8:42/mi.: Light, easy. My legs thoroughly enjoyed this run and it was great to have my running posse back, even if some angry crow tried to kill Rachel by apple bombing her.
Speed:
  • 6 miles, 53:07, middle three fartlek, 2min:2min.:Ouch. This is my least favorite kind of fartlek run. Two minutes near top speed feels like an eternity.
Notes: Everything this week went smoothly. The week got away from me before I could run a half marathon pace workout.


January 8-14: 49.5 miles
Long Run:
  •  12 miles, 1:43:17, 8:36/mi.: Got period that morning and intense cramps kept me from wanting to do the fifteen planned miles.
Speed:
  •  6 miles, 47:57, 3 miles @ 7:10/mi.: Ran this one with a tail wind on the three fast miles. Just as I began to slow, a gust pushed me along. It was awesome!  
  • 6 miles, 49:16, 4x880yds and 2x440yds.: I ran this instead of the 5K race I had planned. After talking to Trevor about it, I decided that the twisting and turning on trail would only prolong my injury. Rachel and I went to the track instead. Since I'm still in a lighter mileage phase, I pushed the pace a little bit. My PR 880 time is 3:15, so I was pleased with the consistency and result.
XT:
  • Swim: 650yds, 30 minutes: After getting some advice from a local triathlete, I've been experimenting where to put the swim. She suggested the same day as speed workouts, so this one was in the afternoon after the first speed session. My back sure was sore and I could tell I'd used up most of my daily energy already.
Notes: Week two definitely improved on the first week. I hit all my workouts and paces. I even got a swim in.

January 15-21: 48.75 running miles, 11.75 snowy XT miles
Long Run: 
  • 15 miles, 2:04:35, 8:18/mi.: A long run on the Bear Creek Greenway. Contrary to my home long run route with about twenty stoplights, it was so nice to have only two traffic light crossings, within the first and last half mile of my run. It's surprising how much easier it is to find a rhythm when I'm not constantly stopping for a light to change. 
Speed:
  • 6.75 miles, with 3.3 @ 7:02/mi.: Went out for same tempo run as previous week, only added a little bit to nab Strava segment. I was very surprised to be able to run an even faster pace without a tailwind aiding me! It's cool that Matt and I have both the male and female record on this stretch of trail.
  • 6 miles, 47:07, with 4 @ 7:25/mi.:  Half marathon pace workout at precisely the right speed. I'm not sure I would have had the energy to go any faster. Probably burned too many of my speed matches for the week on the previous run.
 XT:
  • 4.75 mile classic ski: Skiing on six inches of fresh new powder was so nice. We got out late enough in the afternoon that there were great tracks to follow. I'd forgotten what a joy it is to glide along after someone else has done the work of breaking trail.
  • 4.5 mile classic ski: We had to return the favor today and broke trail through another dumping of snow ourselves. Southern Oregon sure is gorgeous.
  • 2.5 mile snowshoe: Through fresh powder. Crater Lake got dumped on and the last half mile was breaking trail up a steep hill through almost two feet of new snow. Incredibly beautiful.
Notes: No swim this week, but I more than made up for it with all the snow adventures. I want to move to southern Oregon. Pretty please Uncle Sam?
About a week ago, I met again with Trevor to assess my progress. My hip has been improving and the discomfort has retreated back to its original spot. He said this is a sign that the exercises are working as they should. I'm still restricted from doing core strengthening work. I haven't really missed them because he's added enough one legged squats into my life that I'm plenty distracted both on my yoga mat and by the lingering soreness from working muscles I've neglected. I must be doing them often enough because I already wore out and broke the therapy band he gave me.

He also looked over my training plan and had a couple of concerns (namely the easy run volume). We talked it over and if I want to do them for the mental freedom it brings me, I should keep them, just bearing in mind that they're not bringing any added benefit to my training. He added that if I see any any regression in my hip, I need to cut the easy miles down. Since I never half qualms about subbing hikes and ski days in for my easy runs, I think we were already on the same page before our talk. It was nice to have a professional assessment to make sure I'm not doing something in my training to cause my injury.

 ----

As for the snowy photos scattered throughout this post, I plan to recap those adventures in a separate post. Stay tuned! :)

3 comments:

Mary said...

I have to do one legged squats for my pt also but I don't use a band? I'm curious. Also haven't I heard that your 800 time is a predictor of a marathon time? Or is it 880? Anyway, 3:15!

Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home said...

It's so nice and so refreshing that you get to add "easy" runs into your training. I really hate the term junk miles--I mean, we run for a variety of reasons! It's nice to be able to do "easy" miles sometimes. I'm enjoying it myself right now!

Karen said...

Mary, I've got about ten moves, one of which is a squat and another is leg lifts with a band. They're not the same exercise. You're thinking of Yasso 800s. According to Bart Yasso, if you can run 10x800m in, say 3:30, you should be able to run a 3:30 marathon. Since I only did a few 880yds (or 804m) repeats, I'm not getting too excited about a 3:15 repeat. :) Maybe someday that could be my marathon time, but certainly not yet!

Wendy, I hate the term junk miles too. What about the people who just like to run for enjoyment and never go faster or race? Their experience is certainly not to be discounted and called junk!