![]() |
| Headwaters run with the ladies. |
![]() |
| Group selfie. Say CHEEEEESE! |
![]() |
| 3x1 (Goal: 6:49-:55), added 220yd repeats to work on form. |
![]() |
| 5 miles (Goal 7:25/mi.) |
Every run flowed into the next and although I missed the dull ache of higher mileage, I felt good, strong, and confident.
Until Tuesday. I ran my final pace run and struggled much more than I should have for just two miles. That night, I went to bed with a sore throat. I woke up Wednesday morning trying to figure out if I had a full-blown cold or if the sudden shift in weather caused an allergy flareup. Either way, it's been awful.
![]() |
| Quick run while the Subaru got her first oil change. |
It was my job to drink massive amounts of tea and water, nap, and shamelessly plow through twenty episodes of One Tree Hill, all in the name of recovery, of course. Thursday was more of the same. I have high hopes for Friday, too.
Every night this week, Matt and I have been relaxing with Emergen-C cocktails, indulging in aromatherapy foot soaks, and eating enough curry to burn the sickness right out of me.
| My BFF this week. |
As for the race, I'm not sure what is going to happen. I know I trained well. Even with a cold, I think I'm more prepared than I have been in the past.
Two years ago, I was recovering from salmonella and race day was literally the first day I didn't have to make a frantic search for the perfect bush. I ran a 3 minute PR and finished in 1:40:46.
Last year was a bit soon after my first BQ and I hadn't done anything but easy stuff. Ran my current PR of 1:39:04.
This year, I've got a cold. BUT this year's race is on my birthday. There has to be some magical juju associated with that, right?
Race goals:
1. HAPPY Birthday to me! Run at whatever pace is necessary to be challenged, yet have fun.
2. PR! I'm still holding out hope that my body will be willing come Sunday. For me, this means anything faster than 1:39:04. The paces I've been using for training are for a 7:25/mi, 1:37:25.






2 comments:
I don't take cold medicine typically (though I haven't been sick in years) and I think it really does speed recovery not to. Just my personal opinion.
A bunch of my dad's sisters are nurses and they always say that "a cold lasts seven days with medication and lasts a week without it". That said, I think you're right. If I can't notice my symptoms, there's no way I'll take the rest I need.
Post a Comment