Tuesday, September 01, 2015

August and Fall Racing Plans

As I try to squeeze the last bits of mountain adventure from the summer, I look forward to fall. Technically, I'm already training for fall races, but I'm keeping things flexible enough that if I want to climb a mountain instead of run in circles on the track, I don't beat myself up about it. Whether I'm running 440 yd repeats on the track or climbing a mountain, I'm building strength, and in the end, that's really all that matters. I'm trying to say yes to life as much as possible.
Right now, I'm in the middle of the first cycle, building up half marathon pace and related workouts. I have never done this before. Half marathons have always been used as tuneup races and I never specifically trained or tapered for them. Hopefully a little focused work will help produce a new PR. I'm especially excited about this race because it falls on my birthday and couldn't think of a better way to start out my 31st year than a speedy new personal record.

After that, I'll be transitioning all my half marathon paced workouts to marathon pace and hopefully that strength built early on will make marathon pace feel easier. There are a few club races along the way to marathon day but I don't think I'll be tapering for many of those.

Here's my fall racing schedule:

September 13th: Blue Lake 5K 
Goal: Go out hard, hang on. The same way I race all my 5Ks.

September 20th: The Rogue Run Half
Goal race: 1:37-1:38

October 18th: Humboldt Redwoods Half.
-Would like to beat club rival who has *just barely* beaten me twice recently. Might actually taper for this one to give me the best possible chance at victory!

November 14: Arcata Bottoms 8 Miler
-Last year, I ran this one in 60:58. I'd love to finally break an hour this time. The pavement on this course is always a mess so maybe I'll grab a training run or two out there just to map out the best footing.

November 26: Turkey Trot 5K
-This race is during the marathon taper and has enough people that I usually find someone to really push me. This will be the best chance for me to finally break my two year old PR, so I'll probably try to do that.

December 6: California International Marathon
-The weather for this race has never been very nice to me. I know I'm taking a bit of a risk by training for it, but I have a handful of friends who are running too, so even if the weather isn't in my favor, it will still be fun together experience. I'm training for a 3:25-3:30 finish.

Here's the plan:
click on the photo for a larger version
I'm currently about two weeks from the taper for the half marathon and everything has been going well. It isn't until I'm back on the track and running structured workouts that I realize how strong all this slow and hilly trail running makes me. I'm keeping my weekly mileage down a little bit from my usual diet of miles, miles, miles!!!! and focusing on more fast runs. Overall, my body has been responding well and I've had only a couple of days where my allergies have bothered me enough to affect my daily life. Fingers crossed everything stays that way.

Instead of running my long runs on the road, I've been running them on the trails. Eventually, I'll transition back to all that pounding, but for now I'm enjoying the variety. I can have my cake and eat it too. Yippee!

Here are a few highlights from August:

King Peak, 14 miles

Lassen Peak and some other volcanic features
Lassen Peak
Subway Cave

Running the Headwaters Climb HARD instead of running ovals on the track
...then running a route PR even though we took a bunch of photo and water breaks


My watch died on this run too, so some data came from Matt's watch.
Nice hill, huh?

Track workouts, because it wouldn't be road season without some nerdy Garmin stats

I've been surprised by how comfortable these runs have been. They're still plenty hard, don't worry. 
Last week's half marathon pace workout: 4 mi @ 7:25/mi
Last week's track workout: 6x880yds @ 3:15-3:20
Today's half marathon pace workout: 5 mi @ 7:25/mi.
And finally, a potpourri of daily activities
Naps with Zoey
Band concert at the Fireman's BBQ
Volunteering at the Sand Dollar Shuffle
Onesie for a friend's little one
Pyrocu in the evening sun
Brownies and ice cream with chocolate sauce. OMG. Must make again.
Jammin'. Picked the berries (still have scratches everywhere to prove it), made about 12 pints of jam and one pie. Delicious.  Summer, please don't go!
How does your fall training plan look? What other things do you enjoy doing that you don't often feature on your blog?

5 comments:

The Padre said...

Well, because you asked, I litter my blog with photos of the Boy Dog, my Ortho-Bionomy practice, and time lapse videos from my travels or weather patterns from right here in beautiful GJ Colorado. But mainly, have a look, I share my love for Shadow Boy as he has been my best friend for 10 years now. Thanx for sharing all of your photos and your journeys with Matt in tow. Big Hugs

Alicia Hudelson said...

Hey I'm training specifically for a half marathon for the first time ever too! I think it's going to be a lot of fun--long enough to give you a good idea of where you are for marathons, but short enough to be able to recover quickly and move on with training for something else.

Abby said...

Awesome fall schedule. I have 4 half marathons and two 5Ks coming up to train for.

bobbi said...

My fall is going to be fun, even IF I am DNSing TCM. I am running a 17 mile elimination run with a local running club, just to keep me moving. It's amazing how quickly lazy has become my normal. I need to have something out there to chase :)

Also, brownies and ice cream with chocolate sauce is one of my favorite desserts ever!

Lovely pics, as always. Can't wait to see how your schedule pans out!

Karen said...

Padre, Sometimes I pop on over to your blog and check it out. I've got a few friends in GJ, CO and it's cool to see your photos of what it looks like.

Alicia, Is your half marathon plan part of a marathon training block or is it the goal race of the whole season? I'm wondering whether six weeks for a half marathon is too few to actually do any good, but it seems to have made running faster a little bit easier for me. Better than nothing I guess. Just wondering what your plan looks like.

Abby, That sounds like a lot of racing! I'm excited to see how fall racing treats you after the temperatures cool down. You've been working so hard this summer!

Bobbi, Elimination runs sound fun, I would love to try a race like that once. Do you make your own brownies, ice cream and chocolate sauce? I don't know how to make ice cream, but the other two are homemade and that makes them taste so much better than the store-bought stuff.