I’ve wanted to learn how to do this headstand since I was a child,
but I lacked the patience. Slowly at first, with major assistance from
the wall, I made it. Exhilarated in this cheater version I was
encouraged to try it without the wall. Slowly I pulled myself away from
the wall. Eventually, I could pop up without so much as brushing it with
my toe.
Then I eliminated the wall altogether. Suddenly without
my crutch, visions of leaning too far over and landing hard on my back
kept me from trying. Matt helped me practice a few days. Then I tried
again while he was at work.
The first time I reached a full
headstand without any assistance, I became so excited that I did,
indeed, lose focus and fall over. But then I relaxed myself enough to
realize that when my back is straight enough, my legs almost pop up off
the ground involuntarily. My body knows what to do, it was my mind that
was getting in the way.
I seem to learn this lesson over and over again: Trust.
Trust my instincts. Trust my strength. Trust my body and everything else will come.
Once
I pushed my introversion aside and actively sought out new friends in
college, I met Matt. Once I finally let go of the fear of failing for
the umpteenth time, I qualified for Boston.
Once I became comfortable
with being slightly uncomfortable, I realized what an exhilarating and
rewarding place it can be.
4 comments:
I want to know how you timed the self timer perfectly to catch yourself in a headstand!
Mary, I wish I could tell you that I have superb camera skills, but Matt took those shots for me.
Confession - I am incapable of headstands or even somersaults - no upside down here.
It's just a matter of practice. Never say never! :)
Post a Comment