Friday, August 07, 2015

Alaska With Friends

When it comes to travel, I'm one of those people who likes to plan. They may not be very detailed, but I like to have some idea of what to expect when I go. The trip to Anchorage was anything but that. I bought a ticket and off I went. Even though I still know a handful of people in the area, I found myself nervous about the trip. Between my family (my dad's side is big, I've got 40 first cousins), friends we've made living all over the country, and my blogging connections, it's becoming increasingly common that if I visit somewhere, I'll be able to find a couch to sleep on.

Rabbit Lake with Mike and Cinthia

Our schedules finally lined up so my hosts, Cinthia and Mike, took me on a gorgeous, sunny, and easy jaunt to a picturesque alpine lake. After my trip last year, I thought I had finally made peace with leaving Alaska, but this perfect weather had me reconsidering everything.

Watching these two reminded me of my relationship with Matt.
Now all I want to do is move back and be full-time mountain running pals with Cinthia. From the first time I met her, it felt like we were old friends, kindred spirits. I really enjoyed how open and honestly we could talk about life, things that make our hearts full, and our favorite running bloggers.


Her Tern with Angel
When I first booked my tickets to Alaska, Angel mentioned a half marathon the weekend I was here. Since I had already splurged on a plane ticket, I didn’t want to pony up the cash for a race. I offered to come cheer and run a few miles with her. Since I was an epic failure in getting our photo yesterday, I promised to be her obnoxious paparazzi and make up for it.

I camped out (with espresso in hand) at mile 2 and 12 of the half marathon, and miles 2 and 5.5 of the quarter marathon and spent my morning giving high fives. It was amazing. I loved that my caffeine-induced craziness made so many women smile.

When I spotted Angel at mile 12, I jumped in beside her. She was running strong and chatting effortlessly. Then came the hill the last quarter mile to the finish. It’s pretty much the worst finish I’ve ever seen. Perched atop a hill that was split into two short steeper pitches was the finish banner. In that moment, I was so glad I wasn’t racing. But Angel, she didn’t fade like I knew I would have. She attacked the hill and zoomed off. She took off so quickly that I almost didn’t get a finish shot!!
Then we grabbed some more miles and a smoothie together and called it a day.

A couple days later, we did some shopping, had some DQ, ran a few miles, and spent the day enjoying the other's company. Chill girl day was perfect. Angel is always such a joy. I love how she's so energetic and chill at the same time.


Evening Apples with Mr. Moose
One night while I was video chatting with Matt, I spotted something move outside the window. One of Cinthia's neighborhood moose came over for a snack. We watched as Mr. Moose pondered whether or not he'd fit in that lawn chair.

I think you're a little too big, guy.

NOM NOM NOM NOM
I caught up with a few other friends during my visit including Anna, one of my best friends in middle school. Whenever I'm in town, we catch up and I'm always surprised how it feels like no time has passed.

Then before my flight out, I met Brittany and Oliver at the airport during their layover. They were jetting off to Norway and I was headed home and we happened to be at the Anchorage airport (they live in Fairbanks) at the same time. Perfect! I love how life hands me these little reunions on almost no advance notice.

------
My first window seat in almost a decade offered incredible views of the AK panhandle!

As the plane took off, I realized something: Between wonderful friends, familiar places, and breathtaking mountain views, I'm certain Alaska will always feel a little bit like home.

5 comments:

Linda W. said...

Your second photo is gorgeous! With scenery like that I'd want to live in Alaska too. Nice that you were able to connect with your friends and fellow bloggers.

Abby said...

Wow. So beautiful.
And finishing line hills are the worst!!!
MCM had a small one, but after 26 miles it felt like a mountain.

Karen said...

Thanks Linda! You'd love Alaska!

Abby, Just after the mile 26 marker on the Boston course is a small uphill, probably just 10 ft., but it has the nickname Mt. Hereford (on Hereford St.). It's all relative. :)

Cinthia said...

Yes, yes, you are a kindred spirit/friend, Karen. You are welcome back anytime, and Matt, too. P.S. Hopefully next time I won't be struggling with another book and act so moody and introverted, lol, and we can do more things together.
Cheers and big, big hugs,

Karen said...

Thanks Cinthia! I will definitely be back! In the meantime, it looks like it's your turn to visit ;)