Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Kitty Intervals

(I have a lot of catching up to do but I wanted to share a little bit about my run today. Other adventure posts to follow.)

5 miles, 20 kitties, 20x20 sec. sprints

I had planned to do a track workout today but really couldn’t get my head wrapped around the idea. Numbers, paces, bleh. So instead I decided to do kitty sprints: See a kitty, sprint 20 seconds as hard as I can. Sounds good in theory right? That’s all well and good until the kitties conspire against you and plant themselves at the base of every hill. They come out en masse to make sure I’m working hard enough to truly suffer. When I set out on this run, I couldn’t imagine what horrors they had in store for me.

Mile 1: Two kitties, on an uphill...but it’s no big deal because I’m still fresh. I bound up with a smile on my face. I catch a glimpse of one more on a downhill and I sail back down.

Mile 2: Nothing. Nobody. Recovery mile.

Mile 3: Ten kitties, I kid you not. It’s too bad I didn’t bring my watch because I bet I had a new road mile PR. Just as I was about to let up on a sprint, another would appear. Then sexy time kitties came out to play and I had one seriously torturous 40 second burst. Up hills, down. Round corners, dodging cars. I’m pretty sure the kitties had it out for me.

Mile 4: My recoveries slowed to nearly a walk and it took a ton of mental power to keep looking for the kitties. I wanted so very badly to stare at the ground in front of me and hope I didn’t see any more. But I didn’t. I kept looking and luckily only found two, on a downhill. Whew.

Mile 5: By this point, I couldn’t tell whether I was relieved to still be alive or truly masochistic, but I found that sick part inside of myself who truly enjoys this kind of thrashing. Endorphins, come to me! Five more jerkface kitties just to make sure I don’t get to jog it in.


Ha. And here I was thinking that doing 6x400m would be too hard for me today. I’m pretty sure the kitty cat intervals were harder. Don’t try this at home kids.

6 comments:

Cinthia said...

I love this, kitty intervals! Why are there so many cats around? Are they wild or just domesticated outside cats? I miss my kitties and have been feeding a couple of homeless cats, a white one and an orange splotchy one, but they are pretty much feral and I doubt I could ever catch or even pet one.
Nice job on the sprinting intervals. I'll have to do the same on the Turnagain Arm Trail with bear poop.

Mary said...

That's hilarious. I never see more than about five kitties. There's something weird going on in your town.

Linda W. said...

That's one way to get your track workout in. And much more interesting than running in circles.

Karen said...

Cinthia, They are domesticated. With our mild climate, a lot of people feed the strays and they thrive without ever having an actual home to sleep. Bear scat intervals sound good too. I could have done that on my run yesterday.

Mary, We've got a lot of unneutered cats. They're like rabbits, only cuter.

Linda, Much more interesting than in circles. It was fun not knowing when my next sprint was coming!

Abby said...

10 in one mile. That is freaking amazing!
I ran 10 miles today and only saw 1.

Karen said...

Abby, I see lots of kitties all the time, but this was a new record in one mile for me too.