Monday, June 29, 2015

Dow's Prairie 6.1 Mile Race Report

Low clouds hang in the air. A light breeze blows. It's one of those summer mornings that are all too typical around here. Even though it doesn't produce fantastic beach weather, it is perfect for racing. While all of you are roasting in the summer sun, know that I'm debating wearing long sleeves because it might just be chilly.
Mj and I man the registration table as people begin to filter in. The air is so quiet and serene that I have trouble mustering the necessary race day enthusiasm. We field the usual questions that arise from this particular race: Why is it one tenth of a mile short of a 10K? As I've become more involved in the running club, I've learned that most of the wonky race distances stem from original race routes that were loops from the director's home. The original director of this race lived high on a hilltop. Racers ran down and then were forced to run up an almost two hundred foot hill in the last mile. At least they changed that part, I thought while someone detailed the story to me.
I'm relieved from my duties just in time to warm up. Before heading out on my short jog, I pin on my number. After I accidentally gave everybody a minute head start at this race last year, I cut my warmup a little short just in case it was a close call again this time. Goal #1: Start with everyone else. Nailed it.

Without much fanfare, we dash off into the mist. I'm surprisingly close to the front of the pack and it's almost a mile before the first few females drop me on the largest hill.

Mile 1: 7:33

Climbing two hundred feet in half a mile, the first hill always hurts. From the very beginning of this race, I'm running hard. My friend Jorge is always telling me how I should race these short distances: Start hard, pick it up, then finish with a kick. Since this race isn't done well by beautiful even splits, I pace myself by effort and soon enough I'm at the top.

Mile 2: 8:16

The road levels out and the huge knots formed in my legs and back begin to ease. Other than the sound of our breaths, the air is still. Goats and horses in fields alongside the road gather at the fence to watch us pass. They are the best cheerleaders. I even spot a kitty as it dashes off into a twisted blackberry bush.

Mile 3: 7:34

I notice Anna, one of my age group rivals, up ahead. She started out in the lead but appeared to be slowing. Or was I speeding up? Running in the cloud was a bit disorienting. A few small hills help push me past a few other runners and I discover that I've been keeping pace with someone I don't recognize since the first mile. She's tall, lanky, and not more than sixteen years old. I tell myself to stay with her. As we climb the final and most brutal hill at mile 4, she leads me as we pick off other runners (including Anna), one by one. Even though this hill is half the size of the first one, it's in the most unfortunate location. My legs turn to Jello and it takes all I have to glue myself to my pace runner.


Mile 4: 7:54

From here, I know it's downhill until mile 5. I spot two of the home school boys I sometimes run with on Wednesdays. They're known for going out lightning fast and then falling apart. I catch up to Jadon and he looks over his shoulder to see it's me. He really hates when I beat him, haha. We trade the lead for the better part of a mile before he fades behind me. Meanwhile, the girl I have been running with the whole race duels it out with his friend, Aaron. I watch curiously as they race each other.

Mile 5: 7:06

I spend the flat final mile trying to catch them but they only pick it up from there. Curious to see who actually finishes first, I push so hard to stay with them that it feels like my insides will soon fall out. My legs, my hips, my heart. All cramping.  I spot the finish line just in time to see it turn to the forty-fifth minute. Did I see that right? Since my PR has rested comfortably in the 47-minute range for three years already, I didn't expect to break it even though I had been putting forth what felt like a PR-worthy effort. I was too caught up in the racing and drama to pay much attention to my time.

Mile 6: 7:01

Passing by the finish food table, I hear Lanore, Paul, and Jorge call out for me to kick. Since I've been kicking for the last mile, I don't have another pace gear inside of me and cruise on in. Cessair, the girl I had been running with the whole race, edges out Aaron for a three second win.
In a fanfare of flailing arms and legs whose length he's still not quite used to, he tries to out kick her, but she is just a little bit more powerful than he was. It was beautiful to watch. I cross seconds later and take a little bit to steady myself before realizing I beat my old PR by almost ninety seconds!
45:50
7:30/mi.
348 ft. gain
5th Female
Female 30-34: 1st place!

Later at the food table, I congratulate the boys and thank them for pushing me. It has been wonderful watching them grow into strong runners and getting to know them on our training runs.


Matt had a fantastic race and was able to beat out our reigning club fasty-pants, Jason, by three seconds. He took fourth place and finished in 37:26, a blistering 6:08 pace.


All photos: Y. Kim, SRRC credit.

4 comments:

Linda W. said...

Woo-hoo! Another awesome race performance!

bobbi said...

Dang you are STRONG! Congrats on your new PR!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Congrats on your speedy pace and winning 1st place!

Abby said...

Woohoo to you both on an awesome race!!!