Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Recharge Weekend

Matt and I have a very characteristic travel style. Normally, we go for the cheap lodging, eat out of our cooler, and fill the waking hours with non-stop activity. No matter how many times I promised myself neck and back rubs, my body just wasn't up for the four days of winter camping we had planned. I think my spine actually snorted when I suggested the idea of a fully loaded backpack.
Mt. McLoughlin from Interstate 5 near Rogue River
One thing we make sure to do when we are out on a trip is gather information, maps, and ideas for our next adventure. This lead to the creation of a very large adventure binder, a sort of "Choose Your Own Adventure" manual. It comes in handy when we're on a long car trip and craving a run. We pull out the binder, organized by region, and boom! Adventure dilemma solved. That is how we packed, planned, and left for this weekend trip in just over an hour's time. That doesn't sound like a relaxing weekend, but once we were settled, it was perfect.
We had the little building on the left.
Matt found us a fantastic deal on a cottage at the Lithia Springs Resort in Ashland. Most of the year, this hotel is out of our price range, but last-minute reservations on three days in the middle of the week left it about as expensive as the Super 8. All our down time was spent sipping tea, playing cards, and staying cozy next to the fire. It was perfect. As much as I hate to admit it, sometimes this is even better than sleeping in the snow in a tent.
The "sitting room" in our cottage.
When we weren't holed up in our little cottage, we got in a few runs on the Greenway Trail and in Lithia Park, toured Ashland, and made a side trip to Crater Lake for some snowshoeing. I'd like to save Crater Lake for its own post.
Dairy Queen of course!
A major life decision, which ironically enough uploaded itself right after my ice cream photo.
Running highlights:
Greenway Trail near Rogue River. This spot feels like an old friend. We like to rent a yurt in the state park through which this trail passes. We will also be running a half marathon here with my BIL in February.
Running in Ashland. I'm beginning to realize why so many elite ultrarunners call this place home. It has everything. Paved trails (another section of the same greenway pictured above but about 30 miles away) with hills for quicker workouts, technical trail, and a smooth ribbon of trail running alongside a creek in Lithia Park. When can I move in? I almost face-planted when I caught my foot on a downed tree during this run, but instead ended up with a bruised foot. Poor me, I'd have to ice it while gazing into the fake wood flames in my fireplace.
Lithia Park
Matt crossing a bridge in Lithia Park
Bear Creek Greenway trail.
Greenway Trail in Medford. A foggy run to balance out all the disgusting views we had to endure through the beginning of our trip. This run was on a middle section of the Greenway Trail and also part of the race course of the half marathon that we ran in September. Low visibility was caused by an inversion, but since the air mixed out most afternoons, the air quality wasn't too bad and my lungs loved it.


Lately, Matt and I have been taking a set of games with us on our trips. We make a tournament out of Five Crowns, Rat-a-tat Cat, Moose in the House, and Scrabble Slam. As much as I like winning, the best part about these tournaments is that there are no outside distractions. For as connected as technology can make our lives seem, it is isolating at the same time. I'm glad that the weekends we spend together are almost completely free of technology and devices. That gas stove though, I might want to take that technology home with me.

Do you take vacations to recharge yourself? What does it include?
If I take a vacation to recharge, it's more for my soul than my body. Think sweaty mountaintops and less beach with a book. This trip was the perfect balance of refreshing and adventure.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I come home tired from my vacations. I'm not sure anyone else would think of them as vacations. They are a mental recharge though. Those trails look really nice!

Linda W. said...

Ashland is a nice town! I visited many years ago, when my son worked there for a summer.

Abby said...

What a gorgeous place and that cottage looks so cute.

Karen said...

Mary, I'm the same way and often refer to that exhausted feeling as an adventure hangover. Since my activity has been forced to about half of normal, I just needed to get out.

Linda, It's a great little town! I'd love to live there for a summer.

Abby, It was the best base camp for our exploring.