Sunday, January 25, 2015

Snowshoes, Sunshine, and Crater Lake

As much as I lament the absence of a snowy winter on the coast, it makes the rare occasion I do get to play in mounds of white powder all the more enjoyable. In carefully measured doses, I get to enjoy all the best moments without ever having to pick up a shovel. Add in a cloudless sky, calm winds, and my favorite mountain lake and you have the makings of an almost idyllic trip.
Averaging just over forty feet of snowfall annually, Crater Lake National Park is one place within adventure distance where decent snowshoeing is all but guaranteed. This year's snowfall total of 111", most of which has already melted away, is 1/3 of normal, yet still manages to provide plenty of stunning snow-capped mountain peaks to satiate my every alpine desire.
You'll see the snowbank is only about three feet high right here.
We drive to the rim of the caldera, still unable to see the lake. Climbing out of the plowed roadway and onto the snow wall, Crater Lake finally comes into view. Without a whisper of a breeze blowing at the lake's surface, the water reflects every detail of every mountain, including Wizard Island.
 

The crunch of my footsteps cease as I stare, mouth agape, at the incredible vista spread out before me. I snap 10,000 photos of the same spot, as if doing so will freeze me in this moment forever.
Photo of paparazzo in action.
 After a mile of hiking along the makeshift trail above the West Rim Road, we decide it's time for lunch. We find an exposed section of rock wall and face ourselves toward the lake.
Our lunch spot is so ugly.
Cheese, crackers, and prosciutto are on the menu.
In the past, most of my winter adventures have been too cold to pause for food. Snacks and lunch usually consist of a feed bag with small bite-sized pieces of candy, jerky, and nuts so I can keep moving and retain a comfortable body temperature. Stopping for lunch feels awkward and leisurely. I throw on a light jacket for our break, but otherwise remain perfectly toasty.
Phantom Ship juts out of the glossy water.
I sit there, my back draped in warm sunshine, thinking about how frustrating it has been repeating my recovery month.  As much as I want to train well for Boston, I try to be good to myself and remain patient. Lower impact activities are key to my sanity and I feel my anxieties drain away as I stare into the mirrored surface of America's deepest freshwater lake.
Soon the road veers south and Watchman mountain separates us from the lake. I squint into the sunshine as I peer off into the distance. The Klamath Mountains, Rogue Valley, and even a hint of Mt. Shasta are visible nearly 100 miles away. Patches of rotten snow make for a few slushy postholing experiences, but even that can't wipe the giddy grin from my face. Mountains really do look the best covered in snow.

After just five kilometers, daylight begins to fade. We decide to turn back and head for the car to avoid hiking in the dark. Our final glimpse of the lake proves to be the most remarkable of the day. The sun angle lowers enough to cast an orange glow upon Mt. Scott.
We finish our day with ten kilometers, too many new photographs, and a DQ stop. I'm pretty sure this day is what my version of Heaven is like.

Disclaimer: This is not at all what a typical winter day at Crater Lake looks like. Full visibility of the lake only occurs 40% of the time. A swift wind almost always blows. In short, we won the weather lottery on this perfect January day.

7 comments:

Mary said...

Looks like less snow than usual. I'd love a trip like that...someday.

K @ TS said...

That looks like a lot of fun. I have never been snowshoeing, but plan on going next month when I am in WA. What a perfect day on Crater Lake! You really got lucky with the smooth surface and the reflections!

Abby said...

Cheers to the weather lottery and DQ!

Linda W. said...

Poor Crater Lake.....it looks like it needs lots more snow. At least you lucked out with the great weather. Boy, I really want to go back this winter.

Rachel said...

WOAH! That is such an amazingly beautiful place! I'm so glad you had such a nice weather day to enjoy it.

I was supposed to use my snowshoes at a race this weekend, but we didn't have enough snow for it!

The Padre said...

You keep improving on all these photos!! They are awesome!!! Cheers

Karen said...

Mary, There's a lot less snow than usual. It has been in the 50s a lot lately, so the snow is disappearing fast.

Kyria, It was definitely a lucky day!

Abby, Yes!!!

Linda, It was nowhere near the impressive amount of snow I've seen up there before.

Rachel, I'll be in Wisconsin later this week and am disappointed I won't be able to go snowshoeing.

Padre, I don't know if I can take the credit on these photos. Mother Nature provided most of the beauty. :) It did help that I was carrying the DSLR rather than my tiny point-and-shoot.