Monday, October 27, 2014

Training Plan for the Off Season

Even though it sounds contradictory, my off season does have an official plan. Since I always allow for flexibility in my road season plans, I have no qualms about adjusting when opportunities arise. For this reason, following a loose plan during my trail months doesn't feel as rigid as it seems.

In the past, I've tried going with no plan but I quickly learned that I fun myself out and become over-trained. As it appears, more miles don't always equal more fun. Even I have a fun threshold. Who knew?

As usual, I'll be completing the remaining club circuit runs (except the 40 mile race) and then I have a trail race to cap off the season. This year's event is The North Face 50K in Marin in December.

The first week after Humboldt Redwoods began as a series of question marks. I always let myself run as little or as slow as I desire. Pretty much everything that week was a 9:30/mi or slower. I felt less wrecked than normal so the mileage ended up being higher than a faster/tougher race, like my previous two marathons. I finished this plan yesterday, so all of last week's miles are what I actually ran. My hill-climbing power is still diminished, but otherwise everything feels good.



Volume: Since there are just three building mileage weeks between now and the taper for TNF, I didn't think a recovery week was necessary. We'll see if I'm right.

Goal Races: I have one more goal race this year, the Turkey Trot 5K, so I'll have a weekly speed workout, but otherwise I aim to go where the fun is: namely those gigantic three hundred and fifty foot redwood trees and maybe one more trip to the mountains.

Other Races: I'll do my best for each of these, but since I'm not training specifically for them, they will function more like lactate threshold (7:30-7:40/mi) workouts.

Speedwork: Mile repeats seem to be the best predictor workout for me. I'm hoping for a 5K pace of 6:45-6:55, so I'll do my mile repeats at that pace. Last fall, I did a 6x1mi @ 7:00 workout two weeks out and ran a 21:42 (6:59/mi) in the race. I'm more fit this year, but where I'm at will depend on the HRM recover. I'd like to take 20-30 sec. off my PR.

What does your off season look like? Do you keep a training plan? Do you switch to other sports?

5 comments:

Abby said...

Since it is so hot here my off season is the summer. Funny how our schedules are so opposite.

Mary said...

I don't run as much as you, but what I have to do is switch to other sports due to snow. Looking forward to skiing! And snowshoeing!

Unknown said...

I think I need a plan...because I'm UNDER training! ;-) Looks great. Enjoy the relaxed feeling!!!

The Padre said...

I do have an off season plan…. I just signed up for the marathon in Silverton Colorado Aug 25th 2015…. Last week I started swimming more…. Will do more cycling on the trainer during snow days….. Every now and then I find it pretty relaxing running in the pool after lifting….. I plan on volunteering this year for a majority of the 5K's and half marathons coming up soon…. May even take a shot at a cycle cross race Nov 7th….. And Shadow Boy loves the Grand Mesa for snowshoeing under a full moon… So thats on tap as well…. Cheers

Karen said...

Abby, I didn't realize that. Of course your seasons are switched. South Carolina is way too hot in the summer to train well.

Mary, Winter sports are great, I miss being able to do those regularly.

Kristin, I'm sure carrying a baby around is pretty good strength training.

Padre, What a variety! I love it! Snowshoeing under a full moon sounds magical. Enjoy!