Saturday, October 25, 2014

Fall in Repose

Life begins to slow down. The garden vegetables slow to a trickle and only the hardiest of plants remain. Temperatures cool and the winds shift. The air takes on a crisp, cool texture. Rain begins to fall as more dark clouds park themselves over the coastline. I spend more time with my knitting and a warm cup of coffee. Zoey the cat transitions to her cozier napping spots. Fall has arrived.
 
Just as the landscape is prepping for its yearly rest and renewal, we are too. After a summer of frequent travel and adventures, Matt and I are taking some time to rekindle our love for our local area. In the excitement of exploring new places, we occasionally need a reminder that our home is a fantastic, beautiful place as well.

Matt and I went for a relaxed trail run through the redwoods yesterday. Only ten minutes from our house, we can run and play on this challenging trail on any given workday.

Here, our daily worries and troubles melt away. It's just one foot in front of the other, stripping our lives of complications, even if temporarily. Some people practice yoga or meditate to find their center, but I find mine here. With each bead of sweat falling from my skin on the heart-pounding climbs, another layer falls away. When I arrive at the top, I pause to take in the magnificent grove of old growth Redwoods that spreads out in the gully before me. My heart explodes with emotion as the endorphins take hold. I imagine this is what truly living feels like.
.....and it comes with a hint of crazy eyes.

For the first time in my many visits, I stop to walk through this grove, taking the time to saturate my senses. After a soaking rain, the varying scents of the forest are amplified. Yes, a couple of months reacquainting myself with my local environment is just what I need. Brace yourself reader, tall trees are in your future.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Oh what it would be like to run without having to navigate rocks. I wish I could run those trails! You are lucky to live there!

Abby said...

I am with you. My daily peace is not in yoga, but in long runs through nature.

Karen said...

Mary, I am spoiled with the (mostly) smooth trails. It does make me a little more vulnerable when I race on more technical terrain.

Abby, Awesome!