| Y. Kim, SRRC photo credit. |
Mile 1: 8:02
Mile 2: 8:00
The first half of this race coincides with the half marathon along the Avenue of the Giants. The freshly paved road allows me to lean my head back and gawk at the trees. Even though I'm considered a local now, this forest never ceases to take my breath away.
![]() |
| Mile 1. Not taken on race day. ;) |
Mile 3: 8:03
Mile 4: 8:06
Mile 5: 8:10
Soon I pass the time cheering on my running club buddies making their return trip. I find Matt sandwiched between two of his usual competitors. It's funny how in a race of 1,000 runners, he ends up competing against the same guys.
Mile 6: 8:04
At the quarter marathon turnaround, someone calls out a number. It isn't my pace or elapsed time. "What does this number mean?" I say out loud to the runner next to me. We discover together that it's my bib number and chat together for the next mile or so, then he says he has to get back to work and runs off ahead. I eventually pass him. Maybe he should have stayed to chat after all?
Mile 7: 8:02
Mile 8: 8:19
Mile 9: 8:16
![]() |
| Mile 8. Not taken on race day. |
A few miles later, I begin to hear a slapping noise behind me. I glance behind me to see who this annoyingly loud stomper is. Nobody is there. Then I realize it's my soaking wet shorts slapping me in the back of the legs as I run along. Lovely. I'm glad that my pockets are filled with salt tabs, I'm totally going to need them.
![]() |
| Mile 9. Also, not taken on race day. |
Mile 10: 8:04
Mile 11: 8:11
Mile 12: 8:13
Mile 13: 8:15
Just as the marathon course splits from the half, I hear Matt call out my name. I slow for him to catch up to me. We run together through the halfway aid station. I ask about his race and he about mine. I mention that I'm gearing up for a fantastic positive split on my second half, still within my goal range. Then we part ways.
| Halfway aid station. Double-fisting the water and Gatorade. |
The second half of the course has a nice long uphill; it isn't until almost mile 20 that the course stops climbing. I make the decision to stop looking at my watch and instead I continue along at the same effort as the first half.
![]() |
| Garmin counted 1,500 ft. gain, it's actually closer to 1,000ft. We climb the same 100 ft. over and over again. |
Mile 14: 8:40
Mile 15: 8:42
Together, we pass half a dozen runners on the uphill portion, including one who's tree gawking aloud: "Can you believe this?! This is the most gorgeous marathon I've ever run!!" I beam with pride. I get to call this place home. How cool.
![]() |
| Mile 14 and 25, last year's race day. |
![]() |
| Mile 16 taken in April. In the photo is our running club president, Gary. |
Mile 16: 8:31
Mile 17: 8:52
My buddy and I walk through the mile 17 aid station, our first together. "Hey, I like this," he says. He goes on to explain that he never walks through aid stations. I mention that I get cups stuck to my face if I don't (see this spring's Avenue Half report). He must find me entertaining because he stays by my side.
Mile 18: 8:40
Mile 19: 8:35
Mile 20: 8:34
Mile 21: 8:14
![]() |
| Also taken in April. This is about mile 19.5. In the background you can see the mountain my trail race climbs. |
We give a little woohoo at each mile marker and then resume conversation. I love having a race buddy. We are so evenly matched that it feels more like a training run than race. One quick turnaround and we're suddenly running downhill for the first time in almost an hour. It feels so effortless and my pace recovers...for a short time anyways.
Mile 22: 8:15
Mile 23: 8:27
With 5K left to go, I am surprised that time has passed so quickly. I'm having the best time! Sure, the miles are slower and my breathing more labored, but I'm thoroughly enjoying my "fun" marathon day without a concrete goal.
| This is my racing buddy, here all the way from Colorado! Y. Kim, SRRC photo. |
My buddy pulls away at mile 24 and I'm left behind unable to kick along with him. My mind turns to this road racing year. It has been a pretty wild ride: several allergy-related meltdowns, a dangerous bonk marathon finish, and my first Boston-Qualifying time. Then there's the day I completely gave up on myself running this course in 2012. In almost every way, this race felt like a victory lap.
Mile 24: 8:41
Mile 25: 8:26
| Here he's warming up before the race start. |
Mile 26: 8:18
Mile 26-finish: 1:49 (7:51/mi.)
Just after mile 26, club buddies, Paul, Jack, and Brett appear. They cheer wildly calling out something about fifth woman. Since I was having such a good time with my running buddy, I hadn't even noticed my placing.
| Wendy and Wendy announcing the finishers. They sold t-shirts with me the day before and gave extra loudspeaker cheers for me at the finish. Y. Kim, SRRC photo. |
| Y. Kim, SRRC photo. |
3:39:22
8:22/mi.
5th woman
I collect myself for a few moments, letting the race sink in a little. That was fun! Since I ran the second half without peeking at my watch, my finish time was a pleasant surprise. I catch up to Barry, manning the water table in the finish chute. "How'd you do?" he asks. I smile as I reply, "3:39:22, just for you." Since I hadn't noticed any of the girls ahead of me, I couldn't know for sure, but I stood a good chance of placing in my age group. Nope. Three of the four girls ahead of me were in my new age group. No award, but I did make the leader board for the first time ever. Sweeeet.
Matt finished in 1:21:41, two seconds ahead of his club rival. To illustrate the level of competition in the half marathon (the USATF Championship), that earned him only fourteenth place in his age group.
| Matt and his club rival, Reed. Y. Kim, SRRC photo. |








7 comments:
3:39:22 and at the end you say "That was FUN!"
Can you even believe that? Amazing! You have come so far!
Congratulations!
Wow - congrats on such a speedy time! I could never run a marathon that fast, even if I was still in my 30s... Aren't running buddies fun?
Great time! And, I've been running for more than 30 years! Haha. Started really young though! I agree, the most beautiful race I've run (the half)
Great race and such a pretty course.
Looks like a beautiful course!
And you had too much fun, that means you could have gone faster :P
Thanks Bobbi! It was fun running without the pressure of a tough time goal.
Linda, Thanks! Running buddies are the best.
Mary, Thanks! It is gorgeous. I think you're overdue for another visit.
Abby, Thanks! My photos don't even do it justice either.
Molly, Haha, yup. Since I didn't have time to train well for this one, I thought I might as well make it fun. I did run the best I could for the day, there just wasn't the extra mental gear I have when I run goal marathon races. :)
I love that you mention there being a high dewpoint, glad to see you got the terms right! Also, that's a fun picture at the halfway water stop.
MKK
Post a Comment