A crisp, biting cold sweeps through the air. Fall turns to winter in just a few short days. We're probably the last group to enjoy the high country before it gets snowed in this weekend when snow levels are predicted to drop well down into the local valley. Trips this close to winter always make me feel like I'm tempting fate. Nevertheless, as I pull my jacket from Matt's pack, I'm excited for the adventure and views that lay ahead.
Today our adventure is shared with Mark, an inland runner that we happen to know through mutual friends. It's our first official meeting. Through some Facebook stalking, he seems sassy and fun and just happens to have weekdays off too so I invited him along. Who can say no to a Tuesday morning mountain party? He mentions that he wants to see if I was as cool in person as I am online. Haha, yeah. Cool: that's my middle name, alright...if you're into snot rockets and junk food.
Five miles and 4,000 ft. of power hiking practice later, we arrive at the first alpine pass. Tucking behind a large boulder to avoid the blustery wind, we munch on homemade muffins and candy bars. From here we can see the entirety of Long Canyon and the eastern Trinity Alps as well as Lassen Peak. The boys examine the map while I snap some photos during a brief period of sunshine.
 |
| Gibson Peak |
Soon, our climbing effort is rewarded and we're looking down upon Deer Lake, the first on the Four Lakes Trail loop. Siligo Peak's prominent stature dwarfs the lake as it casts a formidable shadow over the entire landscape.
The skies are dark up here, but nothing more than tiny drops of rain ever fall. For once, Mother Nature seems to be playing nice with us. In fact, she decides to gift us a new set of tent stakes. We love free, awesome gear. Matt beams with the same childish smile as when he adopted an abandoned trekking pole on the Italian-Swiss border.
 |
| A gift from Deer Lake. |
 |
| Deer Lake at shore level. |
My inherent shyness begins to melt away with time and some endorphins. We climb the second mountain pass while playing a game. "If you had to eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?" I asked the boys. Matt replies with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Before we got married, that's all he ate. He bought his PB in gallon buckets. Mark takes his turn. "This is actually a question I have thought about a lot!" he exclaims. Us runners take our food seriously. Mark is into spaghetti, my food is pizza.
 |
| Round Lake |
As we lose sight of Deer Lake, we pass Round Lake. This small, but hardly insignificant lake isn't included in the count on the Four Lakes loop. Yay, bonus lake!
 |
| Official lake #2: Luella Lake |
Just as I sense a case of climbing grumpy set in, a bag of gummy worms appears. Matt knows me well. In marginal gummy bear weather, it is a challenge to both chew and run downhill after cresting the next ridgeline. Worms hang from the corner of my mouth as I happily trot along.
 |
| Mark S. photo credit |
Everyone has their happy place. Many of our friends on the coast tell us that they can't imagine living away from the ocean. After the stark contrast between Michigan, Oklahoma, Alaska, and now coastal California, I can't imagine living anywhere that doesn't have mountains nearby. I never feel more alive as I do atop a mountain I scaled under my own power.
Mark, originally from Chicagoland, nods in agreement while adding lyrics from a John Denver song, "He was born in the summer of his 27th year, coming home to a place he'd never been before. He left yesterday behind him, you might say he was born again, you might say he found a key for every door." YES! Exactly!
 |
Mountains look good on you, Mark.
|
We climb briefly through a sheltered saddle filled with dry yellow grasses and crimson and granite spires hanging overhead. Whenever I think of the Trinity Alps, I imagine rocky scrambles and thousands of switchbacks. This route, though still very rocky and difficult, hold some lovely runnable sections that would make any runner giddy.
 |
| Mark S. photo credit. |
Lake number three, Diamond Lake, proves do be the most spectacular. Hanging on the edge of the mountainside, it appears to pour into the valley below. In the distance, a series of snowy peaks take turns in the patchy sunlight. I try to imagine what this place looks like in full snow cover but am unable to picture it. If the road to this trail remains open in the winter, perhaps I'll find out for myself. After all, winter camping season is about to begin!
 |
| Lake #3: Diamond Lake |
We debate a side trip to Summit Lake, number four on the loop, but decide not to given how soon darkness comes this time of year. "One more reason to come back," Mark offers. Exactly. This guy gets us.
 |
| Lake #4: Summit Lake, about 1/2 mi away. |
The sun makes an official appearance when we arrive back at Deer Lake. Our runner train slows to a stop as we stand there staring at the late afternoon light draped over the mountains. I stare at this spot in hopes that doing so will permanently etch this image into my brain. Trinity Alps, I think I'm in love with you.
Our final task of the day includes a steep 4,000 ft. descent back to the car. Since TNF 50K has some technical descents, I'm determined to get better at it. Matt and Mark take off at their own paces, while I lag behind navigating the tricky spots at little more than a walk. After the crash on the Marquette 50K that left me so badly scraped up that I could barely walk for a week, I know that technical training is a necessary evil.
 |
| The boys heading off down the mountainside. |
Bounding down the rocks, I am reluctant to let go of my fear. Falling is not an option. At this point, I'm so protective of my fragile left arm that it has become instinctive, and I'm far more likely to twist and land on something else, injuring my back instead.
 |
| Even the elevation chart looks a little painful. |
Upon arriving back at the car, my shredded legs quiver with fatigue. Road running lets my quads weaken, I'm glad there's a periodic trail season that toughens them back up. I much prefer downhill running to squats and lunges.
We refuel with a delicious pizza, discuss future adventure options and then part ways. Thanks for the fantastic trail day boys!
18.5 mi, 6,000 ft. gain and infinite gorgeous views
6 comments:
What a wonderful adventure! Beautiful country, especially the lakes.
That is so beautiful! Hmm...may have to rethink my PCT section hike and go there instead. I have thought about that question a lot too--and it would be fresh homemade bread! YUM. Okay so not only do you have non-rocky redwood trails, you have the mountains and ocean too. Just about perfect.
So absolutely beautiful.
I understand flying through the seasons.
I swear it was summer yesterday and now it feels like winter. Crazy drop over night.
Linda, I've always drooled over this area on backpacking trips, so I needed to come back for a run. It would be fun to run and swim in the summertime too, I imagine.
Mary, Yes! If you make it to the Trinities, can I come too?!
Abby, We don't get much of a fall here, so the change feels especially abrupt.
it felt like a day with a couple of old friends.
Mark, Thanks! I agree. :) I'm looking forward to our next adventure.
Post a Comment