There are certain birthdays that signal milestones. At eighteen, you're an adult. Twenty one, you're allowed to drink alcohol. Twenty-five, you can rent a car. Apparently, thirty is another milestone. All through my twenty-ninth year, people jokingly asked if I was twenty-nine for the first time, since this is the age women supposedly say they are if they don't want to admit their age.
 |
| The last run of my 20s was spent, where else? with the Redwoods. |
I don't think I'll ever be one of those people to lie about their age. My twenty-first birthday was spent shrouded in uncertainty of whether or not the next one would come. To be "29 again" is to diminish the importance of the fact that I'm still alive almost ten years later. After nearly losing my life, I can no longer take the days and years for granted. As my age advances, I know that I've been here one more year. My plan is to be that eighty year old runner complaining about how slow she is.
To celebrate my thirtieth birthday, Matt and I took a long weekend to southern Oregon. We spent a couple nights in a yurt on Lake Selmac and in the Rogue Valley, two of my favorite places.
Armed with all the board games we own, we created a tournament. Nightly winners were announced and an overall champion was crowned (me!! with a last minute tie breaker round). What I love most about our weekends away is that we have each other's undivided attention.
We wandered the quaint downtown shops of Grants Pass, watched the sunset over Lake Selmac, spent an entire evening trying to make the biggest splash in the swimming pool, and cheered each other on at half marathon race day.
 |
| Gifts from my sister: kitty pot holder and a new hand mixer. My most recent batch of danishes finally killed the last one. |
I'm looking forward to another decade of life lessons, adventures, and love. Bring on old age, haha ;)
6 comments:
I turned 30 this summer and wasn't overly excited about it, partly since my 20s were so good. But this is a good reminder that another year should be a positive thing. Though I swear my legs have gotten significantly stiffer and my back creakier since my birthday...
Your weekend definitely sounds like a good way to spend a birthday though!
Eh...talk to me when you're my age. Getting old kind of sucks. But you have a unique perspective and I understand, most of us take life for granted. Love the potholder!
Happy, Happy Birthday! I agree with you, celebrating YOU is a good thing. Hiding your age is not my cup of tea, call it narcissistic, or whatever, but you should embrace your age not deny it :) Looks like you had a great birthday weekend! 30 is the new 20 anyways, right?!? xoxo, ganeeban
Happy birthday! Happy birthday. And yes, yes, yes, you will be the 80-year-old runner still out there, and I'll be over 100 and still out there, and you can pass me at the start and pat my wrinkled arm in support. Age means nothing. Seriously. I love getting older. Every year brings something new, and exciting, and wonderful (along with other stuff that isn't so exciting or new or wonderful, lol).
I'm jealous of your weekend Oregon trip, especially swimming in an outdoor pool which is, like, one of my favorite things and something I never get a chance to do up here.
P.S. I was out running in the mountains earlier today and I thought, 'I'm in my 50s! And I'm still running! And running still brings me such joy!' Hope you are doing exactly the same when you reach my age far, far in the future (imagine Star Wars music playing right here).
Big, big hugs and take care,
So glad to you had a fabulous birthday weekend. I was so ready for 30 a few years ago I actually rounded up a few months early. I guess something about a fresh decade was just exciting.
Alicia, If there's anything that's making you feel older in just a couple months, it's certainly in your head. :) I swear my legs have gotten crankier in the last week too, but it probably has more to do with what I'm doing to them and not my age.
Mary, Haha, fair point. My body hasn't started to slow or give up on me yet ;)
S, Is 30 the new 20? I hadn't heard, maybe that's why my acne has flared up all of a sudden!
Cinthia, I love how you've got a positive outlook on everything. It's a plan. 50 yrs from now. :)
Abby, I love that! A new decade is exciting!
Post a Comment